Why become a member? ×

Broken cab? Advice please...

dangee

I’m currently running an EBS TD 650 through two EBS neo 112’s. There seems to be an issue with one of the two speakers. Basically, it’s amplifying the bass but with the addition of a noise that is somewhere between low level distortion and rattling. It is far more noticeable at certain frequencies (for example playing an Eb) than others.

I have used the same speaker cable to both cabs, so can rule that out. When I play through the other cab it is crystal clear.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Take a close look at the driver and make sure there isn't any garbage behind the grill that might be making contact (eg gaffa tape)
Make sure all the external screws are present, and tight
Wrap up the handles with some cloth and see if it's them vibrating

If your cab is under warranty, stop there, and take it back where you got it

Otherwise take off the grill, remove the driver and check whether the speaker leads might be coming into contact with the cone, or any loose wadding or somesuch

As you've got two, the next step for me would be to swap over the drivers - if the distortion/noise moves to the other cab, it's the driver - otherwise something in the cab...