Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot - AH1000-12 + 2 x 10 + 1 x 15

wavey_davey

Posted this on Talkbass (is that a bad word on here?!) thought I'd share...

Ok, here goes!

[b]Features [/b] 10.0 - Loads of holes to poke stuff in
[b]Sound Quality [/b] 10.0 - Get the pre stage right and you're laughing
[b]Reliability[/b] 8.0 - Couple of issues with the footswitch, read on if you're interested
[b]Customer Support [/b] 9.0 - Easy to get hold of, and helpful
[b]Value for Money[/b] 8.5 - A bit expensive, but hey its green and it glows (and its a Trace)
[b]Overall Rating [/b] 9.5 - I don't think I'll be changing this one

First encountered Trace way back in the late 80's when a friend (somehow) managed to afford one!! We were 14.

I've GAS'd since that day for the unmistakable Trace Sound. So many years on, I found myself in a position to actually buy a rig, only to find that the G**son had managed to screw it all up, ended up with a Hartke set up. Good, but not right.

Then all the peavey hoo-haw came along, I got interested again and flogged the Hartke to buy the Trace rig..

[b]AH1000-12[/b] - Twin Channel Amp (500W per channel)
[b]1028H [/b]- 2 x 10 + horn Cab
[b]1518[/b] - 1 x 15 cab

Am I happy? You betcha!

Student-hood and poor paying jobs meant I missed owning any of the original TE gear, so my comparisons are going back to a hazy memory of being 14, in my mates bedroom learning to play Maiden and Metallica, but what came out of the new stuff took me right back there. As far as I'm concerned, its definitely Trace sounding and it sure looks pretty! Totally blew the Hartke (3500a with XL 2x10 and 1x15) away with the richness of tone, control and tightness of sound.

So the Amp....
[b]Power?[/b]
Its a monster. I can't get it off 3, even on a big stage. There's power to burn. Admittedly, the pickups in my 'wick $$ are hot as hell, but even dropping them a few mm lower I've still got stacks of Volume! And its damn Heavy!
[b]Tone?[/b]
Stacks of it, using the trace preset, its deep and controlled and with the graphic, you can dial in whatever you need to personalise your sound
The valve pre gives you a great range from warm and subtle to hard and dirty. Factor in the Dual comp, there's no need to go outboard on the compression front
[b]Flexibility?[/b]
Yep, with 3 effect send and returns (Low Pass, High Pass and Full send, Left Right Mono return, all can be used together) you can hookup what you want. I've got my ocatver off the low send, envelope, wah and fuzz off the high or full). and you can control it all, Tube, comp, graphic and effect loop from the footswitch.

The cabs, to me sound great and work well with the amp. I've not tried any others with it, so can't really give a meaningful comparison. The 10s are tight and punchy, the horn in the 2x10 adds that bit of sparkle for the upper fret work and fuzz. The 15 takes care of the low end. I've got mine setup so the low pass effect output hits the right channel which is connected to the 15, and the Hi pass hits the 2x10

They (as opposed to the amp) are a lot lighter than I had anticipates and are easy enough to lug around.

I do have 2 gripes though:

First off, the vinyl covering on the 2x10 wasn't very well stuck down in the port at the bottom, so when shifting some serious air through there, it flapped about and added unwanted fart factor to the sound. So it was Mr Gaffer Tape to the rescue, stuck down firm. Can't see it and more importantly, can't hear it either!

Second gripe. The footswitch, while built like a tank and would probably survive being driven over by one, has stopped working. Still trying to figure out why. I think its either the socket on the f/switch (which was always a very tight fit for the DIN cable) has waggled its way loose, OR its the stupidly dusty garage I rehearse in. Gotta get it on the bench and open 'er up!

** EDIT **
Turns out it isn't the footswitch thats causing the problem, it appears that it is something in the amp that isn't working properly
** end EDIT **

Would I recommend it? Yep!! I'm happy as a pig in the proverbial!!

Edited by wavey_davey

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='xytras 1978' post='802546' date='Apr 11 2010, 01:04 PM']Hey there,

I'm considering buying this rig to, and you mentioned you have a Warwick $$ (i own one to, a Custom Shop). The problems you had with the amp, where they easely solved? I'm thinking combining the 1*15 with the 4*10. Some thoughts,

By the way, great review!!!![/quote]

I play a Series 6 Rig which is about due to be retired. Series 5 and 6 are my fav Trace era, I should go and try one, but I am scared, in case I don't like it......... Nothing gives a tight low like a Trace!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dan670844' post='839773' date='May 17 2010, 01:11 PM']I play a Series 6 Rig which is about due to be retired. Series 5 and 6 are my fav Trace era, I should go and try one, but I am scared, in case I don't like it......... Nothing gives a tight low like a Trace![/quote]

Haven't been on recently, and didn't get notified of new posts!

Like i said in the review, I only have a fading teenage memory of the original trace stuff, but the new amps totally brought that feeling back. I'm sure there are some real purists that would identify loads of differences, but for whatever my opinion's worth, I think they are super.

@xytras 1978

I've actually just sold the warwick for another Clement :)

The problem was dry joins on the amp side of footswitch control circuits. I rehearse in a pretty dusty garage which the tek guy reckons would have contributed. He fixed it in 24hours and I'm fully functional again!!