Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRX400

Stan_da_man

Over at TalkBass, people are raving about this bass and how unappreciated it is. Apparently it didn't sell well due to it being a bit of an odd looker. I've always wanted a P-bass, but with a bigger bass output and for it to have a Stingray MM pickup and that great slap tone. (Hence why I own a Stingray copy now :) )
So before it is discontinued, I'd like to ask has anyone had experience of this bass?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='67090' date='Sep 28 2007, 07:08 PM']Over at TalkBass, people are raving about this bass and how unappreciated it is. Apparently it didn't sell well due to it being a bit of an odd looker. I've always wanted a P-bass, but with a bigger bass output and for it to have a Stingray MM pickup and that great slap tone. (Hence why I own a Stingray copy now ;) )
So before it is discontinued, I'd like to ask has anyone had experience of this bass?

Thanks.[/quote]
Hi! Yes,I've got an Ibanez SRX400 it's an August '03, Dark Stained Finish with a White Pearl Scratch Plate model.
With having a maple neck and a soft maple body and a MM style pick up its tone is nice and bright(even when played unplugged, through the body amp!).
The "Tone" control dosn't change the tone as such it activates the active electronics thats fitted which boosts the pre amp signal...so in my opinion the "tone" knob should be marked "boost"... but there again activating the active electronics does change the tone but not in the usual way that you would expect +/- the treble,I hope you get my drift... :)
The neck is very thin and comfortable therefore making it "fast" and very easy to play.
It's got Gotoh tuners which hold the tuning really well.I can't remember the type or style of bridge that it's got but it's solid it holds the intonation and action brilliantly.
I simply love this bass,in my opinion it sounds nice and bright and punchy,but can also sound warm...it feels nice and comfortable to play for both hands/positioning...and it looks classic! If you come across one buy it!!! :huh:
I can give more accurate detailed specs if required all this was off the top of my head...I hope I've been of some help!
Regards PJP.