Why become a member? ×

Strings tension related to string lifetime?

Fraktal

Hello fellow Basschatters,

Hundreds of times I have noticed that my low B and E strings die sooner than the rest, and often I find myself playing harder the B string to try to even out the output across strings. It really bugs me because even though I love the zing of new strings, I could live with slightly worn strings if they all aged more or less simultaneously.

I know there are several factors to take into account regarding string lifetime, such as a fat string obviously has many more room for dirt to accumulate, but sometimes I have seen a few manufacturers including string tension weight data and it is clear that the low B and E strings have much less tension than the rest. So I wonder: Does more tension equals to longer lifetime? Would it be better to pick a custom set of strings with even tension on all strings?

Please, if you can find string tension/weight data I would be most grateful, I have been googling but with no luck.

Thank you very much!