Why become a member? ×

EMG J Pickups Output problem?

Muse_Cubed

These pickups are supposedly hot, but I'm getting a pretty tiny output from them compared to my Warwick/Pedulla - it barely registers on my amp unless I've turned the input all the way up on passive mode (I'm getting some sound by using my boost pedal, but it's not really enough). I've adjusted the pickups as close as possible to the strings and changed batteries...everything's wired alright I think. My soldering's not amazing, but I did what the thing said. What's going wrong?

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='552925' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:39 PM']These pickups are supposedly hot, but I'm getting a pretty tiny output from them compared to my Warwick/Pedulla - it barely registers on my amp unless I've turned the input all the way up on passive mode (I'm getting some sound by using my boost pedal, but it's not really enough). I've adjusted the pickups as close as possible to the strings and changed batteries...everything's wired alright I think. My soldering's not amazing, but I did what the thing said. What's going wrong?[/quote]

did you change pots

sorry...are they EMG active pups

if you play them without battery power they sound just as you said
make sure the batt wires are connected correctly....especially to the jack

Edited by mrcrow

Here's the reply I got from EMG:

[quote]Rob I assume both p/ups are working and that you've
replaced all the original wiring and pots with the kit
as supplied
What you describe is not indicative of a battery connection
problem as the units will not work passively.
A weak signal means it's going somewhere it shouldn't.
I suggest you check the install again very carefully as
low output usually indicates a partial signal short to ground or
bad solder joint. Check very carefully for dry joints,
wires trapped under the scratchplate or whiskers touching the
shielding etc. Make sure the QC cable is correctly fitted and
making firm contact
If you can't find the fault please contact the dealer who supplied the p/ups who will evaluate the problem and take any necessary action.
Thanks.[/quote]

He says it doesn't work passively, but I get the same output with or without the battery. So I don't know what I'm meant to do :/

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='554163' date='Jul 28 2009, 04:54 PM']Here's the reply I got from EMG:
He says it doesn't work passively, but I get the same output with or without the battery. So I don't know what I'm meant to do :/[/quote]
puzzling...
did the pups come with the little connector to connect to the pup pins...like this

if so have you connected it the wrong way round...i cant remember now if its able to be done that way

if you got the wiring with the pup as shown then there was really no soldering to do ...so if you soldered i take it the parts were loose

can you photograph the layout...or sketch it out what you have done

finally...did you try another battery

i had a battery connector where one wire came undone and couldnt see it
do you have a meter to test continuity...big word...just tests each end of a series of joints that a current can pass

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='554258' date='Jul 28 2009, 06:25 PM']Sigh. £12,000 worth of tuition fees and 3 years of higher education (1 remaining) and I can't even connect a quick-connect pickup cable the right way.
I'm an idiot.
Thanks very much for your help, sorry for the, er, cretiny![/quote]

how did you think i knew it could be connected the wrong way :) :rolleyes:
i have done it myself... :lol: