Why become a member? ×

Now with hardcase: £1600 - Warwick The Alien, 1990s, natural transparent satin, handcrafted in Germany by Lakewood Guitars
£2415
Düsseldorf, Germany

hammerbot

! I am selling this bass in order to finance a new project of mine. As I have been able to raise some funds elsewhere, I am willing to lower the prize for this instrument yet another time: £1600  ! (+ shipping, taxes if applicable to be handled by buyer)

Keep in mind, Warwick asks £1650 for current Warwick Alien 4 made in China.

Hello fellow bassplayers!

I am offering this rare vintage Warwick The Alien electro-acoustic bass from the 1990s, handmade in Germany. Apart from the pictures I will insert a Youtube playlist with me demonstrating the instrument as well as some original instrumental tracks of mine that feature this instrument.

A piece of music history: The Warwick Alien was designed by renowned German master luthier Martin Seeliger, founder of Lakewood Guitars - a company well-respected for building acoustic guitars of exceptional quality. This bass is part of the first series of around 150 pieces to be handcrafted by Lakewood in Germany before production moved to Asia.

Exceptional craftsmanship: This acoustic bass is made of selected solid wood (spruce top, ovangkol back and sides, maple binding, mahogany neck). Together with the one-piece back, this ensures its exceptional resonance and sound quality. The design features elements that were both unique and trendsetting, including the relocated soundhole, a large bridge with metal tailpiece, cutaway, and ergonomic thumb rest, making this bass both aesthetically pleasing and highly functional.

Shadow pickup & Original Lakewood MK 2 Preamp: Equipped with the AER-designed 18-volt preamp, this bass offers unparalleled tonal control. With separate volume controls for each string, a 3-band EQ, and a master volume, you can tailor your tone to your needs.

Just-A-Nut Technology: Thanks to Warwick's Just-A-Nut technology, custom string height adjustment is a breeze.

Rarity:

This particular Warwick Alien is unique in that it has no serial number on the headstock. While this doesn't call into question its authenticity, it does raise interesting questions about its history and why it differs from its serial numbered counterparts.

In addition, unlike many others in its series that I have seen being offered for sale, this bass features a beautiful, perfectly resonating one-piece back.

History and condition of this instrument:

In the 1990s the bass was purchased by a professional musician from Musicstore in Cologne and played in a flamenco project. I became the second owner about seven or eight years ago and have mostly played and kept it at home. Although this bass has been well cared for in its 30 years or so, it bears the marks of its history, which are only visible up close. There are a few small dents on the front, a dent and scratch on the side next to the preamp, and two barely visible scratches on the back. When I bought the bass, it already had a small & very fine hairline crack at the end of the front side. This was immediately assessed and deemed non-impactful by a Lakewood luthier. This crack, too subtle to warrant intervention, has remained stable over the years and does not affect the sound or functionality of the bass. It's a testament to its durability and the craftsmanship of the luthier. If the crack ever changes or gets worse, any knowledgeable luthier can fix it.

Accessories:

New Warwick hard case  (Rockcase RC10613B) - just bought for 140€

Delivery:

The bass can be tested and picked up near Düsseldorf or Bonn, Germany. I an also willing to meet nearby, like 50km or so.

I can send the bass as bulky goods with appropriate insurance at the cost of the buyer. 

📞 Feel free to contact me to arrange a viewing, ask questions or make an offer.

Video playist: 

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

headstockback.png

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

warwick_alien_lakewood_ivw_14.JPG

front.png

frontdent.png

crack1.png

crack2.png

IMG_0442.JPG

sidelow.png

sideup.png

back.png

IMG_20240125_200216_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by hammerbot
Price drop
  • Like 4

• hammerbot changed the title to New-year price: £1850 - Warwick The Alien, 1990s, natural transparent satin, handcrafted in Germany by Lakewood Guitars
  • 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity... would it make a difference to spark someone's interest if I could add a hard shell case?

I am already looking for a used one, but afaik only Warwick's dedicated wooden or the abs case have the necessary dimensions.

Thanks!

• hammerbot changed the title to Now with hardcase: £1600 - Warwick The Alien, 1990s, natural transparent satin, handcrafted in Germany by Lakewood Guitars