Why become a member? ×

New Yamaha BB34P grounding issue?

Wellsyboy

So I have been enjoying my new Yamaha 4 string bass but noticed something off today which I managed to trace to the bass side of the spilt 'P' pickup. I was noticing some serious buzzing and first thought I was a bit too close to the computer monitors in my den (as the PUPs are single coil). However it only happens when my thumb touches the pole piece under the low E string. When I realised this I touched the other poles on that split - same thing. Nothing on the other split (the ones under the D and G strings) and nothing on the bridge pickup. Makes me think this is a faulty pickup and not just a ground wire issue. I will, of course, be phoning the Yamaha store on Monday but any thoughts or suggestions from any techs on her would be most welcome. Thank you in advance. 

Hi!

I had the same issue with my G&L LB-100 and solved it. Try this: get a piece of wire, connect it to bridge and the pole piece, then touch it with your thumb, if there is no buzz then you can try my solution. Get the pickup out from your bass, if pole pieces are accessible from the bottom side then you can stick a piece of conductive tape (I am not sure if it is proper name, what I mean is an adhesive copper tape that can conduct electricity) on the pole pieces, solder a wire to it and solder the other end of it to potentiometer enclosure or whatever connected to the ground.

Be careful not to connect the tape to pickup wires. There might be another thing: sometimes pole pieces are covered with something (probably to prevent rust), in this case you might need to use some sand paper. It might be a good opportunity to make bass body cavities shielding, I did so because my G&L had no shielding at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1