Why become a member? ×

Rare Earth Mic repair

Dankology

I recently picked up a Fishman Rare Earth Blend pickup for my acoustic guitar on Ebay at a particularly good price. Of course, it was too good to be true as I quickly found that the mic signal was significantly distorted.

The seller immediately agreed a refund (seems to be a non-musical bulk seller and the refund was approved automatically) but I did some further experimenting and found that the issue is due to the mic capsule being loose in its housing. Looking at photos online it seems that a retaining washer is missing (see photo below for an example of how it should look) and the housing itself has internal threads in which said washer should fit.

I'm now tempted to hang on to it and try to get it fixed. I'm waiting for a reply from Fishman but I know I can expect anything on the spectrum of no reply all the way through to a free replacement part being sent through the post. Which is not a comment on their customer service btw - I have no experience of them whatsoever.

So what does the Basschat hive mind think? I've still got a week or so to return the pickup: wait for a reply? Try and find a suitable replacement at the hardware shop? A blob of superglue and risk ruining it? Or does someone have a knackered one they'd like to part out?

preview.jpg

This is an excellent mic and pickup. Had one on my EC Martin. I would think Fishman will send you the part, I had dealings with them if I remember correctly and I think they were really helpful. 
Might be worth asking around at your local guitar shops/workshops whilst you are waiting as it might be that there is one knocking around in someone’s pot of odd and sods. 
I’ve had a look in mine but sorry can’t help. 

• Thanks 1

Fishman have just replied, offering to send some of the washers if I cover the postage 😀

I'm hoping they have a European service centre as USA>UK postage costs look insane nowadays... 

Plan B is the aforementioned O-ring held in place with some sticky stuff provided by my model-railway enthusiast father-in-law.