Why become a member? ×

Replacement Bridge for Stagg EUB

kembo_dee

[quote name='kembo_dee' post='457596' date='Apr 8 2009, 04:53 PM']Hello,

Has anyone found a different bridge for the Stagg EUB?

cheers

Kembo[/quote]

Do you have a specific problem with the stock bridge?

The Stagg bridge is perfectly modifiable as it's made of wood so it's not outside the possibility of having a luthier or even a friendly carpenter make a new one for you if you wanted one. It comes in two parts, the lower part sits into two circular sockets in the body with what looks like Belcat Omega-II cable piezos in the bottom of each socket. The upper part sits on the height adjustment bolts which are also removable.

The first job I had done when I bought my Stagg was to have a luthier shave a bit off the base of the top section (that's how I found out all this info) so there was more height adjustment and also recut the nut so the strings lay closer to the fretboard. I now have a low enough action to play quickly and easily.

HTH :)

Ian

Hello,

I was just wondering about changing the bridge to something more like a real wooden bridgeso it would be easier to bow.

Another question because the Stagg sound is Piezo based rather than a vibrating wooden body would changing the strings make any difference when playing Pizz. or not.

I mean when you see reviews for strings that say "Gut sound without the Gut price!", Can you get that thud, thud old bass sound on a EUB with new strings.
i.e Innovation Ultra Blacks [url="http://tinyurl.com/dk3wvm"]Gollihur Ultra Black Strings[/url]

Thanks

Kembo

[quote name='Mateybass' post='458525' date='Apr 9 2009, 03:54 PM']Do you have a specific problem with the stock bridge?

The Stagg bridge is perfectly modifiable as it's made of wood so it's not outside the possibility of having a luthier or even a friendly carpenter make a new one for you if you wanted one. It comes in two parts, the lower part sits into two circular sockets in the body with what looks like Belcat Omega-II cable piezos in the bottom of each socket. The upper part sits on the height adjustment bolts which are also removable.

The first job I had done when I bought my Stagg was to have a luthier shave a bit off the base of the top section (that's how I found out all this info) so there was more height adjustment and also recut the nut so the strings lay closer to the fretboard. I now have a low enough action to play quickly and easily.

HTH :)

Ian[/quote]

Edited by kembo_dee

[quote name='kembo_dee' post='458844' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:34 PM']Hello,

I was just wondering about changing the bridge to something more like a real wooden bridgeso it would be easier to bow.[/quote]

The Stagg bridge is a wooden bridge already but I assume you mean to change it to something like a traditional double bass bridge. I'm not sure what you would gain here since the bridge profile is essentially determined by the neck profile so you'd still have the same bowing angle at the strings. That aside, I'd imagine it would be difficult to find a traditional bridge short enough to fit.

[quote name='kembo_dee' post='458844' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:34 PM']Another question because the Stagg sound is Piezo based rather than a vibrating wooden body would changing the strings make any difference when playing Pizz. or not.

I mean when you see reviews for strings that say "Gut sound without the Gut price!", Can you get that thud, thud old bass sound on a EUB with new strings.
i.e Innovation Ultra Blacks [url="http://tinyurl.com/dk3wvm"]Gollihur Ultra Black Strings[/url]

Thanks

Kembo[/quote]

I'm not in a position to help you here since I don't have enough disposable income to try different strings to acheive this. I do have some old thuddy strings from my double bass which I might try just to see what the results are. The easiest option to obtain a thud sound might be to try a string mute to cut down the sustain of the string, at least you'd have the option of going back to long sustain quickly.

I don't regard myself as an expert though, so I hope someone with more experience of upright bass than me might come along soon to help.

Ian

thanks for that info, I'll try the muting.

cheers

Kembo

[quote name='Mateybass' post='459019' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:10 AM']The Stagg bridge is a wooden bridge already but I assume you mean to change it to something like a traditional double bass bridge. I'm not sure what you would gain here since the bridge profile is essentially determined by the neck profile so you'd still have the same bowing angle at the strings. That aside, I'd imagine it would be difficult to find a traditional bridge short enough to fit.

I'm not in a position to help you here since I don't have enough disposable income to try different strings to acheive this. I do have some old thuddy strings from my double bass which I might try just to see what the results are. The easiest option to obtain a thud sound might be to try a string mute to cut down the sustain of the string, at least you'd have the option of going back to long sustain quickly.

I don't regard myself as an expert though, so I hope someone with more experience of upright bass than me might come along soon to help.

Ian[/quote]