Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XP2A

Larmer

This bass dates back to 9/17/1987. Serial number N50XX.

Smooth graphite neck, with a pretty tight string spacing (I'm guessing 16.5mm?).
Sturdy bridge, which Steinberger is famous for. Leg rest works perfectly.

I'm not 100% sure about the electronics, but this was sold to me as the active model (which could be slightly more rare too?).
It features one 9v battery, but I don't think it has a pre-amp. Though according to Steinbergerworld all of these featured passive pick-ups.
Vol / Vol / Tone. I will get some pictures up tomorrow and you'll be the judge.

The only "flaws" on this bass are some scratches & dents on the back. A bit of paint chipping off near the jack input.
(More pictures of those soon too..)

The bass takes double-ball end strings only, but I have a string adapter I could throw in for a little extra. It's the same aluminum one here:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Steinberger-Hohner-Cort-Headless-String-Adapter_W0QQitemZ220374542429"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Steinberger-Hohner-Cor...emZ220374542429[/url]

Also have an original Steiny soft bag, which I will include. It's pretty beat up already, but gets the job done.

I've listed the bass at a Finnish site too, for the price of [b]950 euros or best offer[/b] + shipping (won't be much probably if I'll just unscrew the neck).
I'm thinking this is a fair price, considering I haven't seen these at ebay for months now (actually in six months, but I don't browse every day).
After searching through google for about 20 mins, I only found one at Talkbass for 1200€, and another one at an Italian shop for 1150€.

I prefer bank transfer, but paypal is fine too, if you're willing to help me out with the fees.

Would love to trade too, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable dealing other than face-to-face and I'm thinking my location is the problem here.

And finally some pictures:

Edited by Larmer

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='438762' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:49 PM']The EMG pickups are powered by the battery (as per my XL-2) however, the bass is passive - as you mentioned, two volumes and a passive tone. I think the body is made from maple...IIRC[/quote]

Hey

I'm still quite not there yet.. If the pick-ups are supposed to be passive, why is there a battery?
I always thought only active pick-ups used a battery, maybe I've missed something?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='438778' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:09 AM']Good question - it looks like its held in place by string tension!!! Hmmm!![/quote]

Tension it is, and it works perfectly. This is the thing why I purchased it, I wouldn't have made any modifications under any circumstances.

[quote name='Larmer' post='438859' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:58 AM']Hey

I'm still quite not there yet.. If the pick-ups are supposed to be passive, why is there a battery?
I always thought only active pick-ups used a battery, maybe I've missed something?

Tension it is, and it works perfectly. This is the thing why I purchased it, I wouldn't have made any modifications under any circumstances.[/quote]

Hi!

The EMG pickups are active - they are powered by the battery but the tone circuit is Passive!

Cheers

Nick