Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

most authentic funk sound, sire p7/v7 or mexican fender jazz/ p bass deluxe

jarnold

hi looking for a bit of advice on sire and fender. I play an ibanez sr1300 and ibanez srx500 as a backup bass in a prog rock band and they're great but playing a lot more funk recently and looking to get a bass with a more authentic vintage funk sound to put flatwounds on. I mention the ibanez basses i like because I would prefer a jazz neck to a p bass neck if possible. 

a Sire P7 or V7 was my first choice, I do like both the P bass sound and the jazz bass sound but having the choice would be great, i believe these also have jazz style necks, my main hesitation is that I hear these sire have more of a modern sound and even set to passive might not give me the authentic voicing I'm seeking. is there any truth in this?

my question is do people with experience with the sire v7 or p7 have an opinion on the passive sound? or would it be worth saving a little extra for a player series made in Mexico fender jazz to achieve the vintage voicing I want?

other models I considered were the MIM fender p bass deluxe or MIJ aerodyne jazz, for PJ options if I can find one 2nd hand. thanks in advance for any help

cheers