Why become a member? ×

Jazz Necks

outsider70

The only thing I recall is that the vintage instruments (like the Marcus Miller jazz's) seem to have a more rounded neck. The more modern jazz basses have the modern "C" shaped neck which is flatter for the thumb. I have the Geddy Lee jazz which has an extra thin shaved down neck, same as Geddy's original instrument.

BTW, tell me if I'm wrong all you Fender experts, by all means!

[quote name='outsider70' post='43510' date='Aug 9 2007, 10:19 PM']Does anyone know if the 70's reissue bound necks are any different in thickness/profile etc than regular Jazz necks, say from the 62 reissue? If so how much difference is there.

Cheers
Tony[/quote]

I've not played either of the Jazz re-issues... but I can tell you that an original 70's bound neck is very different from an original 60's neck profile.
An original 70's bound neck is a thicker, rounder profile - but slimmer at the nut. An original 60's neck profile is flatter, smoother & 'feels' slightly fatter at the nut (though I may have to measure it to see if it really is). The very early 60's ones are a bit different again...
So I would guess that the re-issue would follow the same format...? But I may be quite wrong!

Edited by 99ster