Why become a member? ×

Sandberg basses

christiaan_01

Hi guys,

I'm having a lot of gas on Sandberg California basses, nowadays. And what I'm really interested in is the humbucker together with a P or J pickup.
But my question is whether there is a lot of tonal difference in the PM and the JM. Mainly because a neck-pickup of a jazz sounds quite similar to a precision bass. I know that you cannot split the humbucker on the standard California PM, but I heard that you can ask for a split pickup, which they use on their JM's.
And how about the sound of a P-pickup with the humbucker splitted to a single coil? If I can get sort of a jazz-sound with that, I'd probably go for the PM with split humbucker, because then I've got a P, almost a J, and almost a MM type of bass.
Do I get a nice P-sound with the J neck pickup on the Sandbergs?
Normally I am more of a jazz bass man, but the sound is mostly too thin for rock. Therefore my choice for a bass with a humbucker, and a Jazz or Precision pickup.

How about the low B-strings on the California's? Are they tight enough?

Unfortunately I can't test one of the Sandbergs because there simply is no store that sells them here in Belgium.

Thanks for helping me out guys,

Chris