Why become a member? ×

Two Pickup wiring advice needed

NorthSands

Hi all, couple of months down the line on a (previously modified) '65 Gibson EB0 restoration and all is progressing well - all repairs to the body done, frets dressed and polished, tuners replaced and the body is painted in celly. Just waiting for it to dry a week or so before flatting and polishing, and my thoughts have turned to the wiring. I decided to keep the original EB0 mudbucker cavity, and drop a Dimarzio model 1 in. In addition, there's is space for another pickup which I'm going to drop a '51 P bass pickup in that I had lying around, like this:

s-l225.jpg

What I'm not sure on, is the wiring configuration. The body has 4 holes over the enlarged cavity for pots/switches, and I'd like to fill these. I want to have the option of coil splitting the Dimarzio using a push/pull pot. Can't imagine combining the two pickups but it might be nice to have that option all the same. So my  question is what configuration will be best? VVTT? VVT and a switch? Something else? A diagram would be a massive help too.

The answer is probably really obvious, but I've spent a lot of time going around in circles so would greatly appreciate some input! Thanks again...

On 10/01/2019 at 15:13, chevaliernoir said:

Do you plan active or passive setup?

Simpliest solution would be 1 volume by pickup + tone. Then you can have single coil or humbucking effetct.
As the pickeups are not the same the humbuckinf effect will probably need to not have a balance in the midle (or both pickup full power) because one will bring more noise than the other to compensate. So 2 volume, or a balance is a prefered solution to a switch to make them parallel, to my point of view.

I have 2 single coil pickup, and I planed a balance with a switch to make then in serial connection. In your case, because pickups are not the same, individual volume would be needed even for serial configuration.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be going passive setup. So you think 1 Volume and 1 Tone for each pickup, no switch?