Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky MV5 (preowned) v Xotic XJPRO

mikeos

Popped into Bass Direct intending to check out the above basses. Obviously read a lot about the Sadowsky but, already owning an Xotic XP5, I was after a Jazz Bass to complete the set, as it were. Yes I know some will quickly say that comparing chalk and cheese!

The Sadowsky was ok ( predictable?) however I  was very impressed with the Xotic mindful it was £500 less than the Sadowsky that was on at £1850.  This is probably because already owning an Xotic the XJPRO  felt to me  very familiar in tone (wider tone range I thought) and the ‘feel’ of the bass.  At £1300 I think it’s great value, does everything if not more when compared against basses costing up to a £1000 or more (also tried a 5 string Atalier, the one that Bernard Edwards plays but I was happy with Xotic).

Points I thought of interest for the XJPRO were, Pros:- nice neck, great tonal range, PUPs offered a great range, Passive offered a good range of tones, great for that warm bluesy sound.  Cons:- Thinking that I found the pot to pull for passive turned out to a pan switch, so it came off when I pulled it! No problem quickly reattached.  However quality wise, in contrast to the XP5 that I owned that was built in Japan/USA, I felt it was a bit ‘cheap’ in quality terms, but that’s  being subjective. The neck and frets were really smooth and nice to the touch.  In conclusion if you’re in a limited budget I don’t think you can go too far wrong with the XJPRO. The obvious alternative might be the Sadowsky Metro Express which I haven’t tried but it’s more expensive and if it’s like it’s brother the MV5 that I tried (admittedly 9 years older and only with a 2 band eq) didn’t compare in terms of tonal range against the Xotic.

My original intention was to find a lightweight replacement for a Roscoe bass that I hadn’t played for awhile due to its weight and ended up ordering an Xotic XJ Light.  A bit roundabout but at least I ticked off two basses that had caught my eye.

I should mention the guys at BD were really helpful.

Quick disclaimer, the above is of course only my opinion and one man’s  meat, etc.