Rob Wallace

G&L 5500 Trans Red for sale
£600

Selling my beloved Trans Red G&L 5500 bass. It has been my trusted instrument for many years but has not been used for some time now so have decided to sell it.

It is a great looking instrument. The transparent red finish really shows off the grain of the swamp ash body and you can see where the holes were filled in on the back where the metal template was originally screwed to the wood (G&L instruments are hand made). It has a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard and dot inlays. G&L open-gear tuning machine heads with clover keys. 1 7/8” nut width. 34” scale length. It features two EMG active humbuckers with volume control, pick up blending control and a dual tone pot for treble (centre pot) and bass (outer pot). It is a surprisingly versatile instrument and sounds as good as it looks. It weighs 10 lbs 1 oz

The bass is in very good condition but it does have some minor wear and tear on the back as this has been a gigged instrument, mainly the neck plate being worn by belt buckles . I have included photos to show this. Also, the treble tone pot is loose. Both tone pots are fully functioning but I have factored this into the asking price. The instrument has been set up by a qualified Luthier ready for sale.

The original G&L hard case is included. It is missing two feet (see pics) but still in good condition with all clasps working and an excellent interior. The case is lockable and the key is included. Also included is the original certificate, manual and allan keys for the instrument. As I mentioned earlier, G&L instruments are hand made using the traditional luthier techniques so each instrument is unique and has its own certificate of manufacture. 

Shipping is included in the price to anywhere in the UK.

Price: £600.00 ono.

This is an excellent instrument for any collector or for someone looking for a hand made 5 string bass in the original Fender style (the 'L' in G&L stands for Leo Fender).

G&L Red 1.jpg

G&L Red 2.jpg

G&L Red 3.jpg

G&L Red 4.jpg

G&L Red 5.jpg

G&L Red 6.jpg

G&L Red 7.jpg

G&L Red 8.jpg

G&L Red 9.jpg

G&L Red 10.JPG

G&L Red 11.JPG

G&L Red 12.JPG

G&L Red 13.JPG

G&L Red 14.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Embra
      For sale: £1250, now £1100. No trades thanks.

I ordered this from the US in 2015 and I’ve been the sole owner since. It’s a custom build G&L LB-100 in jet black with an empress body and a quarter-sawn maple neck. I’m selling it because my Sadowsky MV4-HPJ covers the same ground and more (although it is heavier). This is an extremely lightweight bass at 7.5 lbs.
      It’s in excellent condition - with only a few minor scuffs on the back (see photos).
      Specs:
      Body: Jet Back empress body Neck: Bolt-on quarter-sawn maple with matching finger board (G&L #12 Modern Medium C, 1 5/8 inch nut width and 7.5 inch radius). Satin Vintage Tint finish. Scale: 34” Pickup: G&L LB100 Alnico Frets: Medium Jumbo Tuning keys: Custom G&L Ultra-Lite Bridge: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles Electronics: Volume & Tone, passive. Case: Deluxe Tolex hardshell It’s been strung with the same flats since I bought it (Labella 760FL) and I’ll leave them on - a match made in heaven in my view but I’ll also put in the unused original D’Addarios in the case too.
      It comes with all the original case candy.
      Postage included: will be insured & delivered via UPS to mainland UK (please contact me if you live in remote rural areas like the Lake District, Highlands etc as they up-charge for those deliveries). It will be fully protected in double-wall cardboard packaging and bubble wrap.
      If you live close to Edinburgh you’re welcome to come round and try it.

• By Skinnyman
      EDIT. Open to sensible offers. Now travelling to London quite regularly and able to meet up for those based in and around the Big City....
      Up for sale is an immaculate Dingwall Super P/J 5 (passive) in a gorgeous Candy Dark Cherry gloss finish (like a wine-coloured version of a Candy Apple Red).
      This has a number of optional extras including the Wenge Neck, metallic gloss paint, J pickup and pearloid block inlays. It has the fanned fret system but is 2” shorter than the usual Dingwall scale length. This makes it (in my opinion) a lot more “normal” to play as there’s no extra reach to the lower frets.
      Electronics are Dingwall’s own passive pickups and consist of the standard P pickup plus an additional J pickup at the bridge. The pickup control is a four-way switch between neck only, neck and bridge (serial), neck and bridge (parallel) and bridge only. This gives a massive range of tonal options to choose from.
      Condition is immaculate. I can’t find a mark anywhere on the bass. It comes with the Dingwall-branded Levy’s gigbag, paperwork and tools - all of which are also in immaculate condition.
      I’ve shown the pictures that Bass Direct used when they advertised the bass - these are of the actual bass - but I’ll post some more that I took earlier today as soon as I’ve had chance to shrink them down to an acceptable size.
      Given the condition and scarcity of these, I think I’m asking for a fair price but I am open to (sensible) offers. I’d prefer cash but I’ll consider trades especially if you have a nice, light P-bass or a Barefaced One10 (silver cloth) or Two10.
      I’m based in Cleethorpes and, given recent experiences with couriers, I won’t ship this so you’re welcome to come and try or I am happy to meet part way so PM me to discuss options. I also come down to London quite regularly so could meet there if that helps.
      (This obviously means that I won’t ship overseas. I realise that I’m reducing my potential market but I’ve had too many bad experiences with scammers in the past so, sorry, but it’s UK only and collection or delivery in person)
      Thanks for looking - more pictures to follow later.....

• By gary mac
      I must stop buying guitars
      Anyway, this is a nice early example of a Tribute Asat, equipped with Leo's very powerful MFD pick ups.
      Very good condition, with one dink to the top horn and one on the back of the neck (see pics).
      Everything works as it should and the weight is just over 8lb.
      I've given it a proper clean , set up and a new set of D'Addarios. 
      Decent hard case included.
      Price is £ 425 ono. Collection preferred but can courier for around £20 (mainland only)  

• By thundachopz
      Hey does anyone know where I can sorce Warwick bass strings quickly? At the moment they seem to be a pre order or days before delivery? Spike in popularity? Anyway looking for next day delivery. Pref 5 string stainless