Why become a member? ×

Schaller Da Vinci machine head

Ukrobbiej

Does anyone have these on their bass? I had a set fitted to a very nice custom acoustic bass a few months ago, but have just had one snap on me. They have always seemed pretty stiff to get up to pitch, and to me this doesn’t seem right. Anyway, was playing in dropped D last night, tuned back up and then the cog completely came away from the shaft.

Just wondered if anyone else has had issues with the stiffness of these tuners. They took an age to arrive and held up the building of my bass by a couple of months, and to be honest I am not that impressed with them. What else could I replace them with? I would quite like some hipshot ultralites but is it going to be a problems that the hole required for them is 1mm smaller (13mm as apposed to 14mm)?

Robbie

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, just in case anyone comes across this topic in a search in future. The da Vinci were replaced by Hipshot ultralites, and couldn't be happier. Tuning is much more precise, and the tuners themselves feel firmer and more secure.

On taking off the Da Vincis I was told that they failed because of poor design, and I have no reason to argue with that opinion from someone I respect greatly. So at the moment, although Schaller Da Vincis look great and sexy, they really are not up for the job. A tuner should not break after 4 or 5 months use. It's not even as if I was tuning the string up and down constantly!

Robbie

Edited by Ukrobbiej