Why become a member? ×

Custom Classic Jazz V

dudu

I've had this for a while, but never bothered opening a thread about it. After playing it for a while, I think I should.
I was split between this one and a Sadowsky Jazz 5. I am happy I went Fender, the Sadowsky preamp sound is
too fusion-y for my taste, I find the highs not aggressive enough. It's not a bad sound at all, just not for me and
the mostly rock type of music I play. So back to the Fender. 12" fretboard radius with a nice round back of the
neck. Coming from the Marcus Miller 5 which is the opposite - 7.25" radius with a flat back of the neck, this is
a lot better. Very low action out of the box, it is so comfortable that it almost plays itself.

I mainly went from the MM5 to this because I wanted a wider tone range. The MM5 has an oversized ash body
giving it a very scooped sound which is perfect for lots of applications, but as I mostly play a P-90 Les Paul Jr
into a Marshall, there was a wide gap between the guitar and the bass in the mix. The CCJB5 fills it nicely with
its alder body and maple top. Most importantly, it doesn't sound like a typical 5 stringer, but more like a 4, with
plenty of definition on the B string.

A minor nitpick: the tuning keys (Schaller) feel very, very cheap. I've no idea what Fender were thinking, as these
are standard on all their Custom Shop 5ers. The Hipshots on the MM5 were way, way better (and better looking,
too). Given how much I like its sound, I'll let that one go.

I attached a short sample I recorded straight into the audio interface, without any effects or amp sims used. The
playing is not great, though, I am a guitar player after all :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kqct4ifkgevqpx/CCJB.mp3?dl=0 Edited by dudu