Why become a member? ×

Stealthy Black Epiphone Flying V Short Scale
£160

von Braun

I have for sale an Epiphone Flying V Short Scale (30") bass. Used by my youngest offspring in school bands etc, now surplus to requirements and I'm also funding the purchase of a medium scale acoustic bass for my next drinking and sailing trip (or should that be the other way around?) to the Hebrides! Although it has seen some action, the overall condition is very good and I can only find one real dink, which is on the rear tip of the headstock (I have hopefully captured this on one of the attached shots). No buckle rash.

I have just serviced the bass; a good clean-up, tiny bit of intonation fettling, fretboard lemon oiled, restrung with new Rotosound .90 gauge short scale strings and I have also replaced the tuning pegs with a set of Wilko matt black models, replacing the original well-worn gold ones, which had weakened somewhat. The pegs now match the rest of the hardware, which gives the bass a more together look in my humble opinion.

Sound wise, it is typical Gibson/Epiphone short scale, Jack Brucesque thump and growl but plenty of tonal variation with two fairly wide spaced humbuckers and a selector switch. Unusually for an Epiphone, it has a brass nut which takes out some of the traditional "muddiness". I had an Epiphone Rivoli in the 80s to which someone had added an extra DiMarzio PU in the bridge position (sacrilege I know) and it reminds a bit of that. I'm not sure if Epiphone still make these but it is a useful bass for those with smaller mitts, being short scale with a reasonable neck radius.

The overall build quality is good and the white plate is ageing to a sort of ivory finish which looks pretty good.

The fretboard is a particularly fine piece of rosewood and the frets have plenty left in them.

It also came with a pair of Dunlop straplocks when I brought this off Pete Young (off this site) back in 2010. I will leave those on, as I think they are essential on any Gibson/Epiphone short scale.

One small problem, the Epiphone headstock decal was a stick on, rather than being varnished into the finish, this has come loose and I am trying to source another.

No real neck dive, despite a light wood body and mahogany neck.

General description:

2004 model, made in Unsung, South Korea according to the Epiphone serial number guide.

Body - Korina (very light whatever it is)
Neck - Mahagony set neck. 30" Scale.
Fretboard - Rosewood
Pick-ups - 2 x Epiphone T-Bird Humbucker
Controls - 2 x Tone, 1 x Master Volume & 1 x 3-way Selector Switch
Bridge - Gibson/Epihone 3-point (pretty solid and with plenty of adjustment capability)
Nut - Brass
Weight - about 8 lbs according to my suitcase scales but I think a tad under that, this Korina stuff is pretty light.
Case - I have no case for this, my daughter was using a jumbo gig bag to get it around but she won't part with that. I will however pack it safely in bubble wrap and a strong box if shipping is required.

All in this owes me about £160.

I live in Southampton and can also drop off at Waterloo station but I'm happy to ship at added courier cost, unless you're in Stornoway, in which case I'll drop it off to you next June! :-)

I'm not really looking for trades, unless someone has a Fender T-Bucket acoustic going spare, in which case I would put cash towards that......unlikely I know.

I think that's it, if there are any questions, please ask away.

Cheers

Ash

[attachment=165770:DSC_0003.JPG]
[attachment=165771:DSC_0001.JPG]
[attachment=165772:DSC_0007.JPG]
[attachment=165773:DSC_0008.JPG]
[attachment=165774:Head_Rear.jpg]