Why become a member? ×

Pup And Preamp Upgrade. Advice please/

skhatru

Hi,

Not posted for a while, and never undertaken anything like this in 30 yrs playing, but need to. Obtained a Tobias Toby Pro 5 string bass. From what I can find out its a Gibson made Korean era bass. Mahogany coloured neck thru?? Nice bass. Nice construction and action.

Trouble is, sound and output were low, band, and intermittent. Capacitor or something on the board has gone. So, from reading about it, A few people have upgraded to EMG or Bartolini pups and preamp.

Personally, I would rather go EMG as I am hopoeless at soldering, but, do I need to buy 2 soapbar pups? Why do they not sell them as a pair, or do they? Do I need to purchase a preamp separately, or would this be included? Like I say, I am total newbie at this, but would like to take on this project, as I reckon when done would make a nice backup bass to my Overwater

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dougie

Edited by skhatru

Based on the EMG website, the soapbar pups are generally sold singly and include vol and tone control as well as the connectors etc. if you have two pups, you'll need to buy two of these.

I've only ever used the J bass set, which are available as a complete set, and can vouch for their ease of installation. If your looking for a bit more headroom, it might be worth connecting two batteries to get 18V. The EMG website should be fairly informative in this regard and has some useful downloads.

Edited by zero9