Why become a member? ×

Hard working music educators seeking bass talent pool

[quote name='AMS Birmingham' timestamp='1402058102' post='2469616']
Thank you JamesBass. We have had some success face-to-face at gigs, so naturally we'll keep on doing that. We also pay referral fees to our own students if they recommend a friend (better a 17 year old approaches a 16 year old than I guy in his late 30s I think!). I guess I'm really asking whether there are any online places (alongside Basschat) that are worth us using to promote ourselves?
[/quote]
Well for me as a still young bass player who is actually just finishing up on my HND and about to (October) start my top up degree year, I've based my decisions upon, contacts the uni could help me forge, the experience of the lecturers, the % of alumni in jobs/roles within a year after their graduation and a clear and defined progression in the teaching.

Focusing on these aspects will automatically add a draw to students from further afield, though you are competing with BIMM, ACM and the various other colleges and university's that are more varied but with good music departments.

I actually considered AMS Southampton very briefly until someone on my HND applied, she isn't a good bass player in the slightest and had failed auditions at other establishments and has received an unconditional offer. To me AMS just didn't seem to be thorough enough in candidate selection, nor did it give me the belief that I'd be pushed and helped to develop as a bass player, composer and business person. None of what I say is meant to be derisory, I'm trying to give a constructive view point of someone who has just recently been through this process so that you can better yourselves :)

As for finding the local talent, have you formed partnerships/relationships with local tutors who have good students? Local studios and rehearsal rooms are great for finding potential students as well.

JamesBass, the issue with audition standards is being worked over during the summer break, but thank you for raising it.

To be honest this part of the recruitment process wasn't marshalled well enough by head office at the beginning of our Degree provision in 2009, so each manager established a system of their own. I know that doesn't paint a good picture, but I can say hand on heart that I wouldn't accept anyone under qualified onto the Birmingham performance programmes. It's a shame we couldn't help you out when you were making your choice.

As for BIMM, ACM, ICMP, Tech Schools, they're a fair way ahead of us at the moment. My ambitions are to reach their standards though. We're definitely getting there!

[quote name='AMS Birmingham' timestamp='1402312618' post='2471897']
JamesBass, the issue with audition standards is being worked over during the summer break, but thank you for raising it.

To be honest this part of the recruitment process wasn't marshalled well enough by head office at the beginning of our Degree provision in 2009, so each manager established a system of their own. I know that doesn't paint a good picture, but I can say hand on heart that I wouldn't accept anyone under qualified onto the Birmingham performance programmes. It's a shame we couldn't help you out when you were making your choice.

As for BIMM, ACM, ICMP, Tech Schools, they're a fair way ahead of us at the moment. My ambitions are to reach their standards though. We're definitely getting there!
[/quote]
You're more than welcome David, it's good to see it's being addressed.

Hopefully you and your team can help lead AMS towards a better standard. Best of luck!

James