Why become a member? ×

US Voltage SVT II Pro

ben604

I'm looking at buying one of these in from the US to save myself some money but had the obvious concerns regarding the voltage...So I decided to phone Ampeg and the tech guy told me that, changing the fuse and having the power transformer and another transformer (forgot the name) "re-tapped" would allow a US amp to be used in the UK. The power side of the SVT II is multi-regional and just needs adjusting slightly, a 10 minute job, he says by any half decent spark/amp tech. So any of you guys considering the cheap American amplifier route, check with the manufacturer first because you might get a nice suprise!

I'm off to buy an SVT II Pro for under £600 imported...

Ben.

"A cautionary tale"
Last year i bought a fishman acoustic amp from the states.It clearly stated on the back "Dual Voltage".Of course when i plugged it in here it blew up.I asked my mate who's a printed circuit designer to have a gander and from the description on the back even he thought it was misleading.You have to swap to leads to the power supply to get the amp to work at 220v but it didnt state that in the instructions or on the back of the amp
He contacted Fishman for me and explained what had happened and expressed suprise that a top flight company would label an electronic product so.Anyways they paid the shipping back to the States and sent me a replacement foc.
Just make sure you get it checked out before you throw the switch :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='235177' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:01 PM']"A cautionary tale"
Last year i bought a fishman acoustic amp from the states.It clearly stated on the back "Dual Voltage".Of course when i plugged it in here it blew up.I asked my mate who's a printed circuit designer to have a gander and from the description on the back even he thought it was misleading.You have to swap to leads to the power supply to get the amp to work at 220v but it didnt state that in the instructions or on the back of the amp
He contacted Fishman for me and explained what had happened and expressed suprise that a top flight company would label an electronic product so.Anyways they paid the shipping back to the States and sent me a replacement foc.
Just make sure you get it checked out before you throw the switch :)[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! I'll take it to an amp tech and Ampeg said I can phone them there and then to take him through it, so that's reassuring!

Got a quote from these guys for £160 to import the thing door to door. [url="http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/index.php"]http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/index.php[/url]

$750 for a used Head (from talkbass etc...)

£50 for Vat

works out at about £600!

It is a bit of a risk buying 2nd hand from abroad, but they if they have good feedback, I've no reason to doubt them and the US Precision I got from ebay over there is a beauty! Ask Steve Soar!