Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Clean up old bass

crashdesk

[quote name='crashdesk' timestamp='1391979075' post='2363272']
Hi Milty. Sort of.

The thing is the pressure of the springs pushes the pickup/cover out towards the strings. This means that the plastic 'wings' which the screws go through are the only thing keeping the pickup from coming out. Because there is no thread in the plastic wings and there is no way to screw it into the bass, it just wobbles about. Probably not explaining it too well. It's one of those things that you need to see .

The way it is at the moment, I would have to put something between the underside if the scratch plate and topside of the pickup wings to make the pickup/cover sit less proud of the scratch plate.
[/quote]

If we look at the photo you posted, we see there are 2 little brass-coloured washers, which I assume will be there to provide a decent thread for the screw to screw in to.

Where are the springs? From what you've said, it sounds like they are underneath the pickup, when they should really be around the screw - i.e. when you put the screw in, put it in through the scratchplate and the spring, then screw on the pickup. That's how it's usually done with Strats and Les Pauls and the like. So when you screw your pickup upwards, it actually tightens the spring, and makes it move about less, rather than loosening it and allowing it to move about more.

Sort of getting it now. Yeah, my springs were actually just sitting under the pick up, attached by the magnetic poles on each end. Is there a diagram online just to get it clear in my head how it meant to work. I feel like a dunce :-)

Do the spring is to go between the pickup and the scratch plate with the screw going through it?

EDIT: think I found what you mean?..http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=380713415556

LIGHTBULB MOMENT!!! Got it. Thanks. lol

Edited by crashdesk

[quote name='crashdesk' timestamp='1391980643' post='2363306']
Sort of getting it now. Yeah, my springs were actually just sitting under the pick up, attached by the magnetic poles on each end. Is there a diagram online just to get it clear in my head how it meant to work. I feel like a dunce :-)

Do the spring is to go between the pickup and the scratch plate with the screw going through it?

EDIT: think I found what you mean?..http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=380713415556

LIGHTBULB MOMENT!!! Got it. Thanks. lol
[/quote]

Oh, alright then! I didn't even have a chance to reply :D See, you don't need our help! :P

It's never easy. Went looking for two nuts for these screws only to discover that the thread on them is Imperial, not Metric. I ended up having to buy metric and the just about catch on the thread. Because there isn't much pressure from the springs I think these will do. Just a bit annoying that I couldn't get imperial threaded nuts. Ah well...

[quote name='crashdesk' timestamp='1392039643' post='2363847']
It's never easy. Went looking for two nuts for these screws only to discover that the thread on them is Imperial, not Metric. I ended up having to buy metric and the just about catch on the thread. Because there isn't much pressure from the springs I think these will do. Just a bit annoying that I couldn't get imperial threaded nuts. Ah well...
[/quote]

I don't think you should need to buy nuts... I'm at work tomorrow - I work at Ping music shop in Magherafelt. If you want me to take a look at it for you, you could call in. It's a fair journey, mind you.