Why become a member? ×

ASS Sealed 2x12 F/S
£220

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
Now then.....where to start with this one.......
This ere is an ASS 2x12 sealed cab, 500watts @ 4ohms. Built in the 80's and pretty much as new.
ASS I hear you say.
The story behind this cab is a little bit different from the norm but as far as I've been able to find out there is some affiliation with ASS, Ashdown and John Entwistle but no mention of this particular little gem.

This along with a handful of other ASS cabs was found or unearthed if you like in a warehouse somewhere and had been stored there from new, unused and unloaded since the 80's. Nick Carey, well known Bass Teacher and player got this cab from a guy in Chorley, Lancs and I ended up buying it of him with a couple of hours use on it.
The cab is extremely well put together, fully damped to the point that the outside surfaces of the cab are as dead as a dodo and made from what looks like very good quality ply. The top driver is angled up slightly as well which helps hearing the cab when playing.
It was fitted with Eminence Alphas when I bought it but have since fitted a pair of Beta's, the top driver being a wizzy type jobbie with the extra voicecoil to add a bit more highs. I think the Beta's sound much nicer and a bit more authentic.

How does it sound.....pretty damn good actually. Very nice and controlled bottom end being a sealed cab, Mids are very punchy and present, no boom at all with this cab, plenty of growl on tap and the top end is very creamy with no harshness at all. I suppose it would suit a valve amp extremely well also but as I don't have one I've not been able to try it.
Used mainly at home but I do use it in some of the pub gigs we do etc, especially at venues where I struggled with boom in the past.
It's a bit of a weighty little thing, maybe 5lb but easy enough to move about.
Outside dimensions are H31"x W16.5" x D 13" so nice form factor as well for tight stages.
Condition is excellent !

As an aside, there's a thread on TB with a similar cab from user Kringle77. Roughly the same size with the same drivers as this
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/kringle77-sealed-2x12-video-1008579/"]http://www.talkbass....-video-1008579/[/url]

Price is £220 collection would be preferred from Preston, Lancs but I'm happy to meet up within reason.
Thanks for looking.

Edited by kennyrodg

• 3 weeks later...