Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ampeg fuse – schematic enclosed... can you help?

Walker

[b]Amp fuse – looking at schematic, can I replace 63ma with 100ma fuse?[/b]

I’m just trying a few obvious things before I send my Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp off to a tech (resoldering a few joints, new valves, etc).

The bright input rapidly fluctuates in volume.

During my poking around, I found that one of the fuses (see the attached schematic – bottom left corner) has blown, the amp still works, so not sure what the fuse does. To be honest, this is the first schematic I’ve ever looked at and I’m really enjoyed trying to decipher it!

I’ve had no joy trying to find an imperial sized (6.3mm x 32mm) 64ma (1/16amp) 250v slow blow fuse.

[b]My question is: looking at the schematic, would it be really stupid to drop in a 100ma slow blow in instead?[/b]

As the amp still works, I’ve assumed the fuse protects against the switchable voltage selector being in the wrong position? Or is that just another newb assumption?

Thanks for your help.

[url="http://oi42.tinypic.com/4q5gh.jpg"]http://oi42.tinypic.com/4q5gh.jpg[/url]

Edited by Walker

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=5][sup]If it is the lower fuse (fuse 2) then it has no effect on the amp operation when you are configured for 230 volt operation, it is there to power the lower primary coil on the transformer when the amp is in 115 volt mode. [/sup][/size][/font]

Edited by BanditSid

So looking at the top left corner of schematic - the bright input, is it just the 100k resistor and the .0047 cap that makes up this 'bright' circuit, or does it go deeper into the schematic?

So if those two components are replaced, could that maybe solve my fluctuating volume issue? I've got new tubes coming too.

Thanks

Chris

Does the gain only fluctuate on the bright input, is it stable on the normal input ? If so I would say there is either a problem with input socket or a dry joint around the socket or the parallel capacitor/resistor network.....it is unlikely that they are faulty and need to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...