Why become a member? ×

Peavey Mark VIII Bass head

Corathios

Hey there! Does anyone else play one of these? I've been playing one through an Acoustic 1x15 for a couple of years. Its my first rig. Before that I just had practice amps. At first I had a lot of difficulty getting a pleasant tone (it has a 9 band EQ, low and high shelving filters, compressor, punch and bright switches) because I hadn't had any experience with more sophisticated tone controls. But, it's grown on me quite a bit. The tone that I get from it is fat and growly with shiny highs. It's not precisely what I look for in a bass tone. I usually like to cut the highs for some added warmth but, with my current setup, doing so results in a thin, needley high end. Boosting the higher frequencies thickens up the treble but also adds a bit too much "polish" for my tastes. It can't be overdriven whatsoever...I've tried :/ On the whole, I think that it's got an adequate basic sound and offers a good deal of variety with regard to tone shaping. I may try using a different cab soon in order to see if I can enhance my sound. If anyone plays through this head, I'd love to hear about your experience and I'd like to know what kind of cab you run it through.

Hi there,
I`ve had mine for years and it has great tone. Lots of range , plus it really enhances my Rickenbacker bass tone. I run it thru a 4x10 cab, with an added 2x10 cab for larger venues/festivals, loads of oomph. Sounds terrific with my Boss Me50B. I rarely use the built in comp/sustain but do use the chorus. Needs a lot of time fiddling to dial the tone you like tho.

I used a Mk8 for many years with the TVX410 and 1x15 Peavey carpet covered cabs. Sure it also had a built in chorus. Very beefy sound with either cab or both together. Typical Peavey tones not unlike their other bass gear. The 4x10 definitely gave it more definition and an upfront sound. The 1x15 was floor shaking but slightly down in the mix. Adding a 210 TVX or similar to your 15 cab might be worthwhile and it will certainly bring you into the mix :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...