Why become a member? ×

Tanglewood TWRB E

Leon Transaxle

Have I missed it or has no one mentioned the Tanglewood TWRB E yet?
I was in Fair Deal music in Brum today and sitting among the acoustic guitars was one of these.
I have never played a U-bass but thus looks like it could work as a budget substitute.
I asked if I could try out the bass uke but was told it was a travel bass, which is what it seems that Tanglewood are marketing it as.
To me it was pretty good. It was a lined fretless, not sure if a fretted version is available. Had some good tones out of it using a standard acoustic amp they had in the shop. Got a bit hissy with the tone wound right up but over all I was pretty impressed. The only niggle was the G string. All the other strings were like big fat strips of rubber (as expected) but the G was notched (for want of a better word) which made it uncomfortable. For those of you who remember A-level biology it looked like the textbook example of the nerve axion with myelin sheaths broken up by nodes along the length.
They were knocking it out for £199, which is £50 less than the RRP and cheaper than others I have seen since.
One for the Christmas list!