Why become a member? ×

Classical Double bass lessons - Sheffield

MandShef

Hi

I'm a Classical double bassist. I have orchestral experience, performing regularly with Sheffield Philharmonic Orchestra. I am now offering lessons for beginners - intermediate, any age. I am qualified to degree standard - BA(Hons) Music & Philosophy (University of Sheffield), plus ABRSM Grade 8 Double bass (Classical). I am a full professional member of ESTA (UK). I am happy to prepare pupils for the ABRSM Grade exams (instrumental & music theory), or to just learn for the fun of it.

I teach from home in Sheffield. Best availability for lessons is term-time during school hours. However, if you can only make a time outside of these hours please contact me to see if I can arrange an alternative time slot.

Fees: £12 per half hour, £24 per hour.

Edited by MandShef

• 4 months later...

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1366125083' post='2048653']
Hi

I'm a Classical double bassist. I have orchestral experience, performing regularly with Sheffield Philharmonic Orchestra. I am now offering lessons for beginners - intermediate, any age. I am qualified to degree standard - BA(Hons) Music & Philosophy (University of Sheffield), plus ABRSM Grade 8 Double bass (Classical). I am a full professional member of ESTA (UK). I am happy to prepare pupils for the ABRSM Grade exams (instrumental & music theory), or to just learn for the fun of it.

I teach from home in Sheffield. Best availability for lessons is term-time during school hours. However, if you can only make a time outside of these hours please contact me to see if I can arrange an alternative time slot.

Fees: £12 per half hour, £24 per hour.
[/quote]

Hi,
Been out of the official double bass playing business since 1988 when I was offered a place at the Royal Northern (after they saw me in the bass section of CSYO at the City Hall playing The Planets). I turned them down, chiefly because I didn't want to commit solely to double bass. I started when I was seven and acheived my Grade 8 when I was sixteen. It got to the point where I couldn't learn any more from my perapetetic teacher (came to a head when we were both reviewed in the Doncaster Free Press, playing the same pieces at separate recitals, and I got the better review!) and, unfortunately, my ma and pa weren't wealthy enough to afford outside tuition.

I've been doing the singer-songwriter-producer thing since, and though I've never stopped being a musician I'm thinking of taking the bass back up full time. I've occasionally picked up the bass to overdub on to recordings and I find it's like riding a bike. However, I'm thinking of taking some refresher lessons, trying to take it to the next level, with a view to getting back into a decent orchestra. Do you think you might be able to help? I'm about half an hour away in Conisbrough and have transport to get to Shef, but I currently only have a Ford Ka and I doubt the bass will get in so is there a chance you have a spare bass there for lessons?

Cheers,
Tel.