Why become a member? ×

how to wire humbuckers together?

Mod_Machine

Hi, I've built a thin line telecaster replica as a short scale bass. Im at the wiring in stage and have to combine the two humbuckers.....thing is I've never built a bass with more than one pickup so need a little step by step help to get it all together.....and in ladybird book of guitar electrics style!

The humbuckers are as follows....
Green = live
Red and white is pretty soldered together and is split/tab ?????(whatever that means)
Black = earth
Braid = earth (why two earths?)

So both pickups have the same trailing wires....I have a three way selector with a black and white wire and then on to my previous made pots and input jack section that currently has a black and white wire where it was attached to the previous pickup.......please guide me through this!

Ta mod

First question: do you just want to use these as humbuckers, or do you want to be able to split the coils too?

If you want to split, then obviously you'll need more switching, so let's assume you don't. In that case you want to tape off the red and white joined wires, so they do not short against anything else. You also want to link all the earths together (you've got two earths so that you can reverse the polarity on one of the pickups, but again I'm assuming you don't want to do that). Then the greens from each of the pickups should go to the three-way switch, with the output from it taking the place of the white wire from your previous pickup.

Hopefully that will help a bit. The Seymour Duncan site is also a fantastic resource for all sorts of wiring diagrams - google should find it very easily.

Hi...cheers for the response.
I'd already found the Seymour site and a really lush simple diagram for two humbuckers and a three way with tone and volume controls.....taped it all together and quickly got what I wanted.....
Soldered it all and spent the last 20 mins adjusting the truss rod.

All works so I'm happy and now have a shortscale bass version of the early 70s thinline telecaster....that I built....and works!

Looking forward to gigging this year for no reason other than to crank it up!