Why become a member? ×

Option for defretted fingerboard

radansey

No Ross. It is designed to make otherwise unuseable rotten wood useable, for accepting screws and such. Rosewood certainly would not get any harder after application of hardener not to mention the stink it creates which will permeate through the whole guitar. Not nice. Rosewood should actually be acceptable for fretless. I have sold fretless basses with rosewood boards, requested by the customer I may add, with no problems. There will be a little wear and tear which may need attention, re-levelling etc in a few years and the only thing that will permanently address the issue is epoxy (west systems from axeminster tools).
Jon.

Thanks Jon,

It was just a thought that popped into my head when out walking to mutt this morning!!

Subsequently, I have been playing with Super Glue on a beater fingerboard (and yes I did manage to inadvertantly glue a couple of fingers together in the process!!) and the results look quite stunning. Just need to summon up the nerve to attack the freshly defretted board.

Cheers,

Ross