Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4001.....Which Caps???

A string bounce

Hi guys, I'm just about to give my Ric a new lease of life' and would like a little advise please from all you Ric experts here ? Ok' to cut a long story short, I recently got me a 1975 4001 FG, and she's a beaut! only thing is the previous owner decided (some years ago) to change the original neck pickup for a Dimarzio Model one? Now Im not knocking the sound of the guitar, it sounds great as is , but looks hideous! but this did reflect in the price. Anyway I now have all the necessary parts to start afresh and put her back to her former glory! New Pickup, New pickguard, New CTS pots, Cloth wire, everything that is' barring the tone caps. Now my question is what caps would you recommend?? I have these on my shortlist'(see pics) would these be a good edition?? They are two NOS Mullard mustard caps or Two NOS K40Y-9 paper in oil? Im personally favoring the mullards due to actual size? the POI caps are around an inch in length and was wondering about room for them?? btw' I'm also not going to bother installing the .0047 cap that's on the output of the bridge pup.

Thanks.

Any good .047 capacitor will do, and the physically smaller, the better. As your picture, RIC prefers capacitors with axial leads for ease of installation. As far as the .0047 inline capacitor to the bridge pickup, I sincerely recommend you do install it with a bypass switch as is current RIC production. The capacitor gives the bridge pickup the classic Rick tone with Rotosound Swingbass rounds, as with Chris Squire and others, and the switch gives you the tonal options.