Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MBE 212 8ohm failure(smoke)

KingMacca

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1353502614' post='1875242']
I'd be interested to hear your findings. As for Thomann delivery, stuff I've ordered from them has normally taken about 4 working days to arrive, including a cheapo bass cab just last week lol.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Me too Geoff, I'll post here when I've given them a workout.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, I've had the MBE 212 for a couple of weeks now and had chance to try it in a band situation together with the Compact.
Luckily, I think I made a good choice. I love my Compact, ideally I'd have bought another to go on top but pre-Christmas funds just don't stretch to one at the moment.
The MBE is obviously voiced differently to the Compact but the blend of the two cabs is a sound that I really like, the depth of the Compact mixed with the extended mids of the GK, neither overpowers the other. I must say the tweeter on the MBE is total rubbish unless you like hearing fret noise, so that's permanently turned off but the 12inch speakers have plenty of treble which have had to be kept in check.
I can now hear myself much better standing very close the cab ( 6 piece prog rock band ), especially using the fretless and the sound is immense, deep and clear.
I may go for another Compact at some point but for the time being I'm very happy with this pairing.

I have had GK MB gear and have to say I think it is pretty budget quality stuff, I had an MB210 combo amp with an MBE 115 cab which at the time I thought was the bees knees but soon tired of the very boomy muddy tone, I had an MB212 combo which packed up after 20 minutes of playing so went back for a refund, I now have a GB Streamliner 900 and Barefaced Super Twelve T which are light years ahead in quality, I wish I had not bought the GK MB gear and saved up enough for the gear I have now as I lost some money in the process, the moral of the story if `dont buy cheap at first as you will lose money when you buy quality stuff` :( :)