Why become a member? ×

advice on refinishing a body - HELP!!

barryman

I've just got a bass that has a lovely honey coloured woodgrain but with a high gloss lacquered finish which I don't like (don't know if it's polyurethane or what the hell it is) - it's a Wesley Monarch bass (see photo). Also I want to darken the body to a bit more of a walnut colour.

I want to end up with a semi matt or satin oiled finish. So, what's the best way of removing the existing finish and what oils do I use. Any helpful hints will be appreciated.

Cheers, Bazza

Removing existing depends on what it is, so need to find this out first. If its Nitro its easier to get rid of with chemicals (not good for the environment or you though!) If its poly, its likely to be almost impervious to stripping chemicals so you'll have to sand it or heat gun and scraper it (careful not to burn the wood). Its a lot of hard hard work to remove a poly finish normally.

Here's a bodge solution though, that may work...
Sand the gloss finish just enough so you have something to 'cut' into (i.e. make it dull but don't go down to the wood). Then spray a few coats of a stain (poly) until you get the shade you want, then a few coats of clear satin (poly). Polish etc. and you'll have the colour you want and the matt/satin finish you want.