Why become a member? ×

Alembic F2B Preamps

deathpig1

I have one of these spectacular sounding valve preamps that I am looking to move. These preamps were conceived by the brilliant Ron Wickersham (Mr Alembic) as a result of having customised so very many Fender Dual Showman amps during the late 60s/early 70s. There are two channels which can be used simultaneously (stereo) or as two separate/individual channels (using an A/B switch or some other sort of line switcher). The EQ is very simple: bright switch, bass, mid and treble rotary controls - a set of these for each channel. The EQ is interactive so the controls take a little getting used to with how they change the tone depending on the combinations between them. There is a separate output for either channel as well as a combined output (which is how I've been using them as twin channel). There are also two inputs per channel which can be used simultaneously or, again, switched between..
They sound stunning! I was advised to try them many years ago by a friend of mine called Pete Cornish (he of pedal board, rack unit and boutique pedal fame) as I'd had untold gear and always ended up annoyed with the tone - SWR, Ampeg, TC Electronic, Eden, Peterson, Peavey, Trace Elliot, etc, etc, and have continually tried every new make since - Markbass, Ashdown, EBS, anything I can get my hands on, and nothing has come close to these preamps tone-wise. Don't believe those who tell you you need every conceivable control on an amp (or your bass for that matter) to get a tone to die for. This one is actually my back-up unit which is going because I have never had to use it. Alembic do another model called the F1X (I think) which also sounds good, but not quite as good. When I mentioned this opinion to Pete he offered the observation that it could be because they added a "deep" switch to the circuitry which does make a difference to the sound,
Although these F2B preamps are of the old-school "good for bass or guitar" approach they blow everything else outa the water. The only thing I have ever had to be careful of with them is that the output level is outrageously high!
These cost well over £1250 now so for this virtually unused unit I am after £900 ono because, sadly, I am led to believe that Alembic may be on the brink of their own cliff right now and there may not be any more of these made in the very near future.
Tel: [url="tel:07977453724"]07977453724[/url]
[attachment=115898:[url="tel:2012-08-15"]2012-08-15[/url]_15-51-40_961.jpg][attachment=115899:[url="tel:2012-08-15"]2012-08-15[/url]_15-52-04_771.jpg]

Edited by deathpig1