Why become a member? ×

Volume loss

TurnItUp

Hi everyone,

I have a Trace Elliot V-type 4x8 combo. I don't know all that much about technical stuff, but it's a 4ohm output @ 280w RMS and 580w peak and it's a full preamp valve amp.

When playing it seems to be intermittent with it's volume - sometimes being loud and all too frequently going very quiet along with distorted/fuzzy sounds occasionally.

It cuts back into being loud when I play with the volume and gain controls (often deafening me as I turn it up too loud).

Any ideas would be really appreciated as I have a gig in the next 2 weeks where I really need it.

Thanks.

Hi there!

Could be a number of things. First thing I would try is getting some switch cleaner into the controls and the sockets. If you're not sure of what you're doing opening up amplifiers then you'd better take it to someone who is. Theres a sticky I think at the top of this section where you can find a recommended tech near you...

First of all, nice profile picture.

I was wondering whether it was the pots that could be causing it. My brother and I have opened it up (he's an electrical engineer and still doesn't know what the problem is - useless) and it did look pretty dirty in there, thanks for the suggestion.

I was also wondering whether a loose transistor could be the problem with it seemingly losing power? Does anyone know anymore about this?

Thanks sabre79.

Thanks TurnitUp

It could well be a loose transistor, but it could also be about 10,000 other things unfortunately. I've had an amp with a repair guy for over 6 months now with a mystery whining noise. He still hasn't figured it out and when I saw him in the pub the other day he said he'd pretty much rebult the thing with new components and its still whining away!

As its a Trace Elliot you're lucky because they are UK based and from what I've heard very helpful. You might want to ask them if there are known issues that exhibit this fault.

If its not crackling when you fiddle with the pots its probably not the pots. You could get your brother check each solder join in there (it will take some time), there may be a loose connection or dry joint in there. But really you would be best getting someone who knows about how amps work to look at it.