Why become a member? ×

Squire CV 60's Jass Bass

njr911

Had this bass for a few months now and it's my first bass.

I was a guitar player until about 5 years ago when I left the band I was in. Since then wife and kid have filled the gap in my spare time.

Just got another band together but this time I'm playing bass.

I bought a secondhand Squire CV 60's jazz bass and love it. The fit and finish is top quality. as good as the 61' Jazzmaster I owned and up there with my Gibson guitars.

However I think it might benifit from a set up. Never done this before as I had a tame guitar dealer who used to do all my guitars.

It's a bit boomy on the 7th fret of the bottom string for some reason.

Anywhere reccomended in the Leeds area ?

Also how long do strings last on a bass ? Would it benifit from a restring ?

Any reccomended string for a Jass Bass ?

Cheers
Neil

Hi njr911
The Squier CV and VM series are highly regarded on here. You have yourself a fine bass there Mr.
I don't know anyone in Leeds - but the principle of a bass setup is pretty much the same as a guitar, just bigger - so maybe your tamed guitar tech could do it!

If you fancy having a go at it yourself there's a really good site on setting up your bass [url="http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html"]here[/url] it is a major advantage if you can do this yourself because you can tweak it until you're happy and it will save you a fortune in the long run!

I would always put new strings on with a setup, especially if you don't know whats on it (as the setup changes for the string type/guage).
If you're the sort of guitarist who uses 10s I'd go with Medium 45-105 strings or similar, and this is likely to be whats on it if you like the thinner more bendy 9s then you'd probably be better with lighter strings e.g. Light 40-100. As for types, there are many and much of it is down to personal preference. To get you started though I'd look at what guitar strings you use and get the bass equivalent. Ernie Ball, Dean Markley, Rotosound, DR etc. all make both guitar and bass strings. I'd go with roundwound as they are like guitar strings in sustain and feel. The amount of time these last varies from player to player. I go through a set every couple of weeks, Bernard Edwards of Chic had the same set his bass came with for the duration of his career!

I hope some of this is useful, best of luck!
Bren