Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass

TwoToneTwist

Hey all,

Been a long time stalker of the forum, and have finally jumped in the pool!

I'm currently looking for a back up bass. Being a fond-Fender-fancier I've owned Squier basses as back up and am now in the ring again searching for a new second squeeze! (my current P-Bass has got a little tired!). I've taken a shine to the Modern Player Jaguar, as it looks great, has a Jazz neck, and a PJ Pickup config. Anybody got any views, or put one of these through their paces? I know that the alternatives out there are the VM Jags, which look great, but do you guys think the bridges are any good? Naturally when the funds are together, I'll be popping out and giving them all a try!

Cheers all!

Josh

I've got the VM Jag with the P/J p/up configuration which I put Wizard p/ups in, 'pacified' it with a V/V/T set-up with new pots, gave it a fret-dress and cut a new bone nut. I think it's great and much prefer it to my Warwick Corvette (which will be for sale on here shortly). It's now set-up with D'Addario Chromes, an almost straight neck and 4/64ths action at the 12th fret.

The bridge is the standard Fender 'bent metal' bridge which has given me no problems at all.

One thing I didn't like was the side dot fret markers which were half on the rosewood and half on the maple, and very difficult to see. I drilled these out (2mm drill) and then drilled the first bit of the hole to be 3mm. Then I glued in new white fret markers (2mm) and filled in the rest of the 3mm hole with dark wood glue. Snipped off level and sanded down the dots are really easy to see.

The Modern Player Jag with its Maple neck, block markers and no binding is very tempting (with a b/w/b scratchplate) once I've sold my Warwick.