Why become a member? ×

USA FRETTED Fender Jazz Bass Neck - Swap for FRETLESS Neck

Hi,

I have a USA Jazz bass fretted neck, Maple board, in very very good condition up for grabs. Its from a 1997 American Standard Jazz Bass (Fender Model Code is #019-2400) So it's the top of the range USA Graphite Reinforced neck. The neck has no noticable fretwear whatsoever and has only been played for about 20 hours in the studio since new. I bought the bass new in London in 1998 and have owned it ever since.

The neck is still fitted on the original bass at the moment. and the instrument has lived in a clean dry smoke free environment, in its case, since I bought it in 1998.

Oh, for completeness I should say its a 4 string neck, perfectly set up, straight with no issues and has the standard 4 bolt neck plate.

But, Im wanting to convert this bass into a Fretless bass.

So, Im looking to swap this neck for a fretless neck in similar condition. Either maple or rosewood boarded FRETTLESS neck considered. Must be either USA or possibly mint Japanese neck considered and must have fret lines ?

Not interested in a mexican neck swap as I find the mexican necks fatter in cross section profile and often a little heavier to hold compared to their USA and Japanese counterparts, so, am gonna stick with either USA or Japanese offers ?

So if you have a USA or top of the range Japanese Fender Fretless Jazz bass with a neck in very very good condition and you would like to easily convert your Fretless into a Fretted bass, then get back to me and we'll arange to swap photographs and details.

Cheers and compliments of the season.

:)

Edited by Nostromo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1323938756' post='1468788']
In common with plenty of others, I find the Jazz neck easier to get on with than a meaty P-bass neck. Would this fit my Mike Dirnt sig Precision and, if so, would you consider a straight sale? Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi there,

I dont know what the neck pocket arrangement is on a MD Sig Precision ? . . . I can only say that the standard four bolt Pecision and Jazz necks are generally considered to be interchangable (unless any one out there knows differently ?) . . . . I've got a Japanese Precision Body with an Indonesian VM Jazz neck in it and that was a really snug perfect fit ! ! . . only took about an hour to do the neck exchange and set up.

Still hoping for a straight swap . . . . so, haven't got as far as deciding to sell my original fretted USA Jazz Neck yet . . but may do so ? . . so keep an eye on this post and I'll update it again to say I'm starting a sale posrt if I do decide to sell.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Edited by Nostromo

I experimented by taking the neck off the Mike Dirnt and putting the neck off one of my Jazzes on it.

Turns out that the heel of the Mike Dirnt neck (if necks have heels...) is more curved than the Jazz neck, so it's a bit of a messy fit unfortunately, with gaps and overlaps.