Why become a member? ×

Pre amp wiring!

Hi guys

I've just bought a Keen Electronics KE-3Ba pre amp that was previously fitted to a Zon bass but the previous owner of the pre amp couldn't help me with sorting out what the 3 un-attached wires from it are.

There's 1 red one, 1 black one and 1 blue wire. I'm guessing the red one would be the wire to connect to the positive/live terminal of a battery pack but I'm not sure what the other 2 (blue and black) wires are for. I would of thought one would be the wire you connect to the ground pin of the input jack (probably the black one as it's next to the red one) then you take the negative wire from the battery pack and attach that to the ring pin of the input jack.

There's only one wire going to the volume pot which leads off to the blend pot after that and obviously the pickups attach to that.

the 3 tone controls (bass/treble stack with a separate mid control and selector switch) are all wired in already too so there's nothing wrong there. Also, all the tone control wires are at the opposite end of the pre amp to these 3 loose ones if that's any help to anyone?

Please help! I want to get my bass done today if possible

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

Thanks mate, i'm guessing it probably is that.

Here's a photo of it

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/Stevie_Dewar/811b5744.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, the only wire going to the volume pot is the brown one. From that, one yellow cable runs to the blend pot and then the pickups will be attached to that.
So yeah, that leaves the red, black and blue cables for me to play with. Once I work out what's what, I'll get it fitted. Tell you what, it's going to be a tight fit in the control cavity of my Tobias. Still got to drill a new hole for the mid selector switch and widen the hole for the t/b stack.

FUN FUN FUN

The correctness of your assumptions can be simply verified with a multimeter. Just connect the battery and check whether the current consumption is in a range 1-3 mA.
I think that there is one more wire missing; the volume and balance pots should be grounded. There was most probably copper foil in the previous bass and it was providing grounding. If you don't have a copper foil in your bass, it may be required to add this wire. You can also connect the preamp to a jack without putting it into the bass and test it (also withut pickups - just touch the balance pot with your finger).

Mark

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1323648073' post='1465497']
Would it make a difference that my bass has the copper shielding as well as a bridge earth wire?
[/quote]If your bass has the copper shielding, it's exactly the same as the previous bass. If this is the case, you don't need to add any wire. Have you checked the preamp already?

Mark