Why become a member? ×

Splitting a Stereo Track into Two Mono Tracks

Oggy

Hi Chaps

I'm 'very new' to digital recording devices and DAW's. Some of you will have seen me asking stupid questions and doing some really stupid things to try and get a reasonable recording result using a Zoom H4n and GarageBand. I've tried to manipulate the two stereo files that the Zoom H4n produces (In 4 CHN Mode) using hard panning left and right and multiple copies of the stereo tracks to get separation of instruments and vocals in GarageBand; see my last thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146949"]My Last Thread[/url]

I've found the answer! A company in the US of A called Sound Devices have a 'FREE :D ' piece of software (Mac or PC) that will take a stereo WAV file and split it into two mono files - you have to register with them to download it, it's not one of these pieces of software that expires in a few days unless you purchase it :lol: , it really is FREE.

I downloaded it this afternoon and I've been happily using it on the Zoom produced stereo files to produce mono files that I can load into GarageBand as separate tracks - works a treat. Dead easy to use, even I got to grips with it in a few mins. The link for the site is:

[url="http://www.sounddevices.com/download/waveagent.html"]Sound Devices - Wave Agent Software[/url]

Happy file splitting, I knew I'd find something, just took me a bit longer than I though.

This piece of software does lots of other audio stuff that I don't understand :) - yet.

Oggy :)