Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Briefcase

james_guitar

I've recently picked up an AER Compact Mobile and have been making fantastic money from busking with the classical guitar (and vocals), so thought it might be worth doing something similar with the double bass.

I've just picked up a Phil Jones Briefcase from PMT as I love the sound I'm getting for gigs with the PJB M300 head and 8x5 cabinet and thought it would also be handy for quiter jazz/acoustic gigs where I don'[t need as much volume. I haven't got a battery for it yet though, so need to look in to that.

Is any one else on the forum using this amp for gigs and/or busking? If so, what battery would you recommend?

These amps rarely seem to come up on ebay or the sale section in this forum which is a good sign IMO.

Thanks,

James

I can't offer you advice on batteries etc, but I use a Suitcase for both electric and upright and I love it. An awesome little amp. It is on the quiet side, but whenever I need more volume I'm usually going through a PA anyway. It sounds great; I barely touch the EQ etc as the sound is so clear and balanced.

Can't recommend PJB stuff enough. Let us know how you get on with it!

With the sort of battery they recommend you get about an hour and a half, but if you were to get a deep cycle 12v battery rated at 20Ah then you will get about 4 hours......probably a bit longer if i remember right,as far as leads go to connect it to the rear of the amp you can make one up from bits from maplins for about a fiver, and i got the battery from ebay for about £40.

I don't think i will be using mine again so may sell it with the lead thrown in but i wouldn't have thought the postage would be cheap,and all couriers seem to ban battery's from being sent.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1314978' date='Jul 24 2011, 06:34 PM']With the sort of battery they recommend you get about an hour and a half, but if you were to get a deep cycle 12v battery rated at 20Ah then you will get about 4 hours......probably a bit longer if i remember right,as far as leads go to connect it to the rear of the amp you can make one up from bits from maplins for about a fiver, and i got the battery from ebay for about £40.[/quote]

Thanks for the battery tips - I'd heard the inbuilt batteries only last 1 - 1/12 hours, so had been wondering which external options lasted longer. Looks like a trip to Maplins is on the cards. :)

I got to try the briefcase out properly last night during a jazz/latin trio set. We did the gig as upright bass/vocals, trumpet and piano and played just over 2 hours. We were playing quite loud and the the pianist (who also plays bass in bands) liked the sound even more than my bigger Phil Jones rig (8x5 cab with M300 head). I think the briefcase will handle a louder set-up including drums, but I'm very pleased with the bigger rig so will continue with that those occassions.

[quote name='james_guitar' post='1315872' date='Jul 25 2011, 03:57 PM']Thanks for the battery tips - I'd heard the inbuilt batteries only last 1 - 1/12 hours, so had been wondering which external options lasted longer. Looks like a trip to Maplins is on the cards. :)

I got to try the briefcase out properly last night during a jazz/latin trio set. We did the gig as upright bass/vocals, trumpet and piano and played just over 2 hours. We were playing quite loud and the the pianist (who also plays bass in bands) liked the sound even more than my bigger Phil Jones rig (8x5 cab with M300 head). I think the briefcase will handle a louder set-up including drums, but I'm very pleased with the bigger rig so will continue with that those occassions.[/quote]

Don't buy a battery from maplins they are really expensive! Have a look on eBay, basically the higher the Ah the longer the battery will last.....you will of course need a charger.....or if like me a member of your family has a golf trolley rob their charger....and on occasion their battery!

If you get a battery and need a lead you can have mine for the cost of postage...its got the plugs on one end that go to the amp and crocodile clips the other to clip on your battery.