Why become a member? ×

SOLD

Tee

Another day, another bass pops up for sale.

The time has come for me to sell my beloved SG bass. I'm in no rush to sell it, as i do really like it, but it's just not being used.The reason is it doesn't suit my current band and i would like to raise funds to purchase my dream bass, a classic white Gibson T-bird. Incidentally, this is the only bass therefore that i would be interested in part exchanging with. A London pickup would be preferred, but i am happy for you to organise a courier pick-up from my work address.

Right, some background. I bought this bass from new in a shop (ie not online) in London in 2006. This means it was subjected to my hawkeye check at the time :huh: I still have the receipt too. I haven't use it much, as i purchased it towards the end of my last band. It hasn't been gigged or rehearsed with, since early 2007. Just home noodling use.

So here it is, my mint condition, made in the USA, Gibson SG reissue bass. It comes in classic white (a nitrocellulose, matt finish), which was a limited edition finish and is now quite hard to find. I bought this from new in 2006 and it has had very, very light use. It has no dings or dents at all. I am sad to see it go, but i am just not using it (a waste for any Gibson). It was great for my previous band, but my current band requires a different sound, meaning this beauty gets left out. If i was bandless and just sitting at home noodling, this would be the bass for me, and it would be going nowhere, as it plays so sweetly. I've had Thomastik flatwound strings (£30 plus strings, pictured) on it for a lovely woody, thumpy sound. However, a few days ago i put on a set of spanking new, short scale roundwound GHS Boomers (50 70 90 107). You can have either, or both sets if you like.

This 30.5-inch scale (short scale) bass has two humbucker pickups and delivers a nice, deep rounded tone. If you're reading this you'll probably know about Gibson's EB3 (the bass this reissue is based on) and perhaps who has used them in the past (very much a classic rock icon). Jack Bruce fron Cream, Ron Asheton of The Stooges (listen to the album 'Raw Power' that's an EB3 thumping away) Free bassist Andy Fraser, to name but a few. The short scale mixed with the solid mahogany body and slim, rounded neck profile, makes the bass fast and thunderous. You can really get around the neck with ease and get some great grooves going on. With flatwound strings and a pick, you can get that "French pop" sound, a la 'Air' or 'Serge Gainsbourg.' :)

As pictured, the bass comes with a Gibson case (also in mint condition) which has a matching white plush interior.

I'd like to get [b]£650[/b] for it, which given it's great condition and rare finish, seems fair. Let's see.

[attachment=6092:sg_incase.JPG] [attachment=6093:sg_body.JPG]

[attachment=6094:sg_back.JPG] [attachment=6095:sg_headstock.JPG]

[attachment=6096:sg_case.JPG]

Here comes the science...

BODY
Top Species: Mahogany

NECK
Species: Mahogany
Profile: Rounded Bass
Nut Width: 15/8"
Neck Joint Location: 16

FINGERBOARD