Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WOW. Olympus LS-10.

waldemar

Hi all, just thought I'd share this.

I was after a way of recording band rehearsals without having to faff around too much with mics, mixers etc. and thought I'd take a chance on the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-LS-10-PCM-Recorder/dp/B001AZHTK8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310301105&sr=1-1-catcorr"]Olympus LS-10[/url] which describes itself as a 'Linear PCM Recorder' and looks a bit like a souped-up dictaphone. At around £165 it's not cheap (£80 cheaper than the newer LS-11) but the results are pretty amazing.

Attached is a recording of one of the covers we do (I'm Just a Prisoner) and to put this into perspective it was recorded by leaving the LS-10 balanced a couple of inches off the carpeted floor in the middle of an average sized living room. The drums used were one of those toy-like mini kits (excuse the squeak from the kick pedal) an acoustic guitar, un-miced vocals and my bass going through my genz shuttle 3.

I'm still amazed at just how good this sounds and as a tool for reference I can see this bit of kit living in my gig-bag forever.

Totally chuffed.