Why become a member? ×

LTCL exam on Bass?

clagooey

Hey guys,

Bit of an odd question for you here! Has anyone had any experience in doing the LTCL (Licentiate of Trinity College London) performance exam on Bass? More info here: [url="http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=230"]http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=230[/url]

For people who don't know, the LTCL exam is a music diploma that's roughly equal to the standard one should achieve at the end of a 3 year music degree course. I'm in my final year of a Biology degree, but I've come to realise that I would prefer to play bass for the foreseeable future. Thus, what I intend to do is to work for a year after my degree, getting money to fund a MMus from a decent uni (I'm thinking maybe RNCM) that I'll start in September 2012. To get in, I need to prove that I'm good enough to get an audition: I've been musical director of a choir for the past year; played for 2 years in my uni big band; and have grade 8 (from 5 years ago), but I'll need something better; hence the LTCL . So...

Does anyone have any experience doing anything similar to me? The main obstacle for me at the moment is choosing pieces: as there's no dedicated bass section, I'll need to submit a 38-43 minute performance repertoire for them to approve. I've looked at the LTCL section for both cello and double bass, and there are plenty of pieces there I could do, but I'd like to limit classical pieces to around 15 minutes as I'm primarily a jazz musician. I've been told that Teen Town at 100bpm (as opposed to 128... I think?) is equivalent to ATCL (the diploma one below the LTCL), so that gives me a rough basis. What I have so far (contemporary-wise):

Donna Lee - Jaco Pastorius
U Can't Hold No Groove - Victor Wooten
Tears in Heaven - Jeff Berlin
Teen Town (full speed) - Jaco or Marcus version

Thoughts and suggestions?

Cheers guys,

Tom

P.S. Sorry for the length and comma overload!