Why become a member? ×

Laney RGB500 Combo Problems

Sinbad

Hey all...Newbie Here... ;)

Just wonderered if any one can help with the following:

I've blown some components on the input board of my Laney RGB500 combo.

This is probably as a result of a dodgy connection on an active bass that i plugged into my amp. :huh:

This seems to have "spiked" the input causing two fuses on the input board to blow together with
capacitor C1. The fuses are not a problem but the capacitor was blown to pieces so i can't identify
what the part is.

I contacted Laney tech assist by email and recieved a schematic of the amp. This identified the
capacitor in question C1 (immediately after the jack inputs on the diagram) as a 10 nf
electrolytic 100v capacitor.

So far so good, but after several attempts to source the item, all i keep coming up with are huge
capacitors that are about 10 times the size of the footprint of the blown component. :)

I've backed checked with Laney and the item has been confirmed as 10 nf. This dosen't seem to be
correct. I can definately say that the charred remains of the original were a small- bog standard
electrolytic capacitor (one of them purple ones about 10mm high 5mm diameter). I'm wondering
if they are giving me the wrong size (should it be 10 uf??????) - Any body with the above amp prepared
to slip the amp out of the cab and have a look???

Any assistance on this would be gratefully accepted - gigs coming up - dug out my Carlsbro Viper 100
but need to get my Laney working again. ;)

Hi, I'm struggling to find a 10nf electrolytic but have found 100v 10uf elecs that fit the physical size you mention.Its possible that laney have a missprint on their diagram, although get them to cross check the revision/mod state of your amp.Sometimes when a design is updated the components get re numbered so if your amp is say revision A they might be looking at a later drawing. Hope that makes sense. I would'nt fit a different value component until I was 100% sure. The cap I did find was in cpc. Pt no CAO4963. Make sure you get the polaity right.
Good luck Cheers Just

Thanks Subthumper

Sorry for delayed reply, busy week.
The 10uf seems to be the most likely answer to this one, spoke to a mate who does a bit of the electronics stuff.
Going to check again with laney as to thre amp revision as you suggest.
Thanks again.

Keep on rockin
Steve