Why become a member? ×

Play Electric Bass with the Ventures

timtoomany

I nearly made it out of the record shop without spending any money ... until I saw this:

[url="http://img847.imageshack.us/i/playelectricbasscover.jpg"]Play Electric Bass (cover)[/url]

[url="http://img543.imageshack.us/i/playelectricbassbooklet.jpg"]Play Electric Bass (booklet)[/url]

The 'Guitar Phonics system' looks like a precursor to tab but is counter-intuitive and nearly incomprehensible. Pretty good fun, never the less.

Edited by timtoomany

OK - I never actually played WITH the Ventures - not in the strictest sense.

But I DID play my bass as they were on stage and I was in the wings. Not on an amp - but unplugged.

I had a Mosrite and they were just switching to Fender as Mosrite was going off-shore and I had one of their bass models for myself that later on burned up in a car accident.

Sad to lose that iconic bass - but I also lost a good friend and my dog (the friend borrowed my car and the dog went with my car [u]everywhere[/u] no matter who was driving) - so they all died in the fire of the accident.

Those days The Ventures, Eddie & The Showmen, The Beach Boys and Dick Dale were all part of my last years in high school in Huntington Beach, California, Class of '64.

Err, ... kudos.

Some story. Sorry to hear about your friend, dog, bass and car. I posted this LP because I thought the kooky 60s way of teaching bass might raise a chuckle, not because I thought anyone really had played bass with The Ventures. Glad to know what the guitars they used were though--they have a unique look--did Mosrite make them as customs? I've been hearing all about the woody thump of 60s basses on another post; on this recording pretty much anything played on the E string sounds like a deep percussive ghost note without any hint of a tone.