Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Posting images

webby

Hi,

Browsing through the forum I see lots of lovely images posted, especially in the for sale section. However, a lot of these images are tiny attachments which need clicking on to see at full size. The thing is, these images are very large (if you haven't compressed them) so every time you click an image you are downloading quite a large file. You'll know this by the time it takes to load the picture.

I feel that this is a bit un-user friendly. Many folks have download limits, plus it's not a great way to view the images. If I wanna view a whole set, I have to open each one, view it, close it, open the next and so on.

It's better to embed the images into the post isn't it? Or, upload to a photo library site such as flickr, or Picasa where images can be viewed as a set.

Is this discussed anywhere on the forum?

Thoughts?

[quote name='webby' post='1010825' date='Nov 3 2010, 02:25 PM']Hi,

Browsing through the forum I see lots of lovely images posted, especially in the for sale section. However, a lot of these images are tiny attachments which need clicking on to see at full size. The thing is, these images are very large (if you haven't compressed them) so every time you click an image you are downloading quite a large file. You'll know this by the time it takes to load the picture.

I feel that this is a bit un-user friendly. Many folks have download limits, plus it's not a great way to view the images. If I wanna view a whole set, I have to open each one, view it, close it, open the next and so on.

It's better to embed the images into the post isn't it? Or, upload to a photo library site such as flickr, or Picasa where images can be viewed as a set.

Is this discussed anywhere on the forum?

Thoughts?[/quote]

I [i]think[/i] (im not sure) that embedding full size images in the post causes more bandwidth than the little pics to click on. (especially in these days with all the high defintion digital images) If you open a thread, then every page of posts with full size images in them has to be downloaded everytime, this causes both the Forum server and forum users to use more bandwidth. This is espcially true with popular threads, if for instance a thread gets high in a google listing. For whatever reason

With the little pics, that are uploaded to the forum, they are opened in full only if you click on them, and you only do this if you wish to see them in detail.

PS: not sure this is the right forum section to discuss this. Be prepared to have a Moderator move it somewhere more appropriate.

Edited by daz