Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Replacing Pickup

webby

I just bought a Kent Armstrong Jazz Hot Vintage pickup from Mark (AHPOOK) and I'm just wondering if there's anything I need to know before installing it?

The dimensions are exactly the same as the current pickup, so it just a case of desoldering the old and soldering in the new?

Should I have any concerns with the volume and tone pots at all?

Here's my Bass:

Cheers

It should be just a case of desoldering the old pickup and soldering in the new one.

The only possible issue when mixing pickups from different manufacturers is that it's not always clear which pickup wire is the "hot" and which is the "ground" (they often use different colours on the wires).

On a single pickup bass this is not an issue - either will be ok.

On a dual pickup bass have a look at the wires on the new pickup and solder it the way that looks most obvious. Once in place, connect it all up and listen to the sound you get when BOTH pickups are on. If it sounds a little "thin" then you've wired the new pickup "out of phase" with the old one - all you then need do is open it up and swap the wires of the new pickup around and all will be ok.

[quote name='BOD2' post='992083' date='Oct 18 2010, 11:46 AM']It should be just a case of desoldering the old pickup and soldering in the new one.

The only possible issue when mixing pickups from different manufacturers is that it's not always clear which pickup wire is the "hot" and which is the "ground" (they often use different colours on the wires).

On a single pickup bass this is not an issue - either will be ok.

On a dual pickup bass have a look at the wires on the new pickup and solder it the way that looks most obvious. Once in place, connect it all up and listen to the sound you get when BOTH pickups are on. If it sounds a little "thin" then you've wired the new pickup "out of phase" with the old one - all you then need do is open it up and swap the wires of the new pickup around and all will be ok.[/quote]

Nice one, thanks.

Rehearsal tonight so I might leave it til tomorrow.

Edit: Just had a quick look. Looks like the current pickup has one red and one black wire, while the new one has one red and one white. I'll match up the red wire assuming that's the 'hot' one, yeah?

Edit 2: Ah, according to Kent Armstrong's Schematic PDF, the white wire is the hot one! [url="http://www.kentarmstrong.com/KA_Wiring_Instructions.pdf"]http://www.kentarmstrong.com/KA_Wiring_Instructions.pdf[/url]

It looks like the wires from the current pickup just go to the selector switch. I just wire the new one exactly the same yeah?

Edited by webby

[quote name='webby' post='992084' date='Oct 18 2010, 11:48 AM']Nice one, thanks.

Rehearsal tonight so I might leave it til tomorrow.

Edit: Just had a quick look. Looks like the current pickup has one red and one black wire, while the new one has one red and one white. I'll match up the red wire assuming that's the 'hot' one, yeah?

Edit 2: Ah, according to Kent Armstrong's Schematic PDF, the white wire is the hot one! [url="http://www.kentarmstrong.com/KA_Wiring_Instructions.pdf"]http://www.kentarmstrong.com/KA_Wiring_Instructions.pdf[/url]

It looks like the wires from the current pickup just go to the selector switch. I just wire the new one exactly the same yeah?[/quote]

That's what I meant about there being no "standard" colour coding for wiring ! But at least you've got the information you need.

Yes - you just wire the new pickup exactly the same as the old one.

To answer your original question about volume and tone pots - the existing ones should be fine. There's no reason to change them unless there was a problem with how they worked.

Job finally done. Didn't get round to it the other day.

Piece of cake really. Little tip...I used a straw to get the wires through the body without snagging :)

Think I've done it right as it sounds ok with both pickups selected, so not out of phase I guess? Only tested through Garageband at the mo as my amp is in the car, but it sounds nice and beefy. Definitely an improvement on the old pup.

Only slight issue is that the poles under the E string are not central, but I think this is more down to the pup slot and where the current screw holes are than any problem with the pup.

Here's a pic

Edited by webby

[quote name='webby' post='1002523' date='Oct 27 2010, 02:40 PM']Job finally done. Didn't get round to it the other day.

Piece of cake really. Little tip...I used a straw to get the wires through the body without snagging :)

Think I've done it right as it sounds ok with both pickups selected, so not out of phase I guess? Only tested through Garageband at the mo as my amp is in the car, but it sounds nice and beefy. Definitely an improvement on the old pup.

Only slight issue is that the poles under the E string are not central, but I think this is more down to the pup slot and where the current screw holes are than any problem with the pup.

...[/quote]

Nice one, I wouldn't worry about the poles not quite lining up. Fender have been getting away with it for years :lol:

Edited by Protium

Little update.

It's hard for me to compare the new pup with the old one cos I hardly ever used the bridge pup as it was pretty weak imo. So, on it's own, it's difficult to asses the sound other than that it is louder. But, it really shines when both pups are selected. I guess it's cos the KA is a hotter pup, so the balance is better and it therefore adds more of its sound to the mix. I get a real nice growl out the 2 pups now, whereas before, I used to just have the P pup selected most of the time.