Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

88/89 Japanese Fender Jazz Fretless SOLD

jay249

Hi there, another guitar I can no longer justify, this is a solid black Japanese Fender Jazz bass, I'm guessing a 62 re issue as it has a very thin neck profile

Those 'in the know' will understand what that means build quality wise but for those who don't, many Fender fans, me included will have to admit that the Japanese Fenders far surpass their American counterparts of that period (hope I haven't offended anyone!), I base this on a current ownership of a 72 and 78 jazz bass, and many vintage and japanese Fenders before.

I've owned this a few years and at one point I got the fever for electronics and such and drilled an ''S1'' switch into the control plate and made a bit of a mess of the soldering, having come to realise I want to sell it, I've bought and fitted new control plate, CTS pots, and genuine Fender knobs to fit, the good news is my soldering is very neat these days!

The scratchplate isn't original, and wasn't when I bought it, can supply a faded old white one I have lying around if the buyer prefers.

It's a lovely bass, nice low action, does the growly thing well, serial number H010730 dates it to 1988/89, some scratches here and there I'm afraid and some wear in the first position on the back of the neck where it's been played in nicely but nothing that detracts from the experience, if I ever had a professional reason to use this thing I'd keep it for myself.

I'm moving house soon and only get a box room for my music stuff and, being a professional music teacher/musician- the guitar and bass collection is in double figures!

Sounds bloody great, would be perfect for someone dipping their toe into the fretless thing, it is unmarked on the fretboard (no cheating!) but you get dots on the side to help.

Not a bad entry into 'almost vintage' territory, It's about 22 years old, in pretty good condition and can only appreciate in value.

Fitted with my favourite Marcus Miller DR strings, quite fresh, very strong midrange, fully recommend you buy a chorus pedal (from someone on Basschat of course) and then you'll be sounding amazing.

Viewings/test drives available in Long Ashton, Bristol, no tire kickers it doesn't have any and I don't trust my contents insurance.

One last thing to add, may not have internet providings for the next couple of weeks while I move, my phone number is 07827335222 and I'm James

£600

Edited by jay249