Why become a member? ×

The New Thunderfunk TFB750-A, Even Stevie Wonder Wants one!

RIM Basses

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='104766' date='Dec 15 2007, 08:36 PM']dave has told me they sound much better than the TF550B![/quote]

i'd be interested in why and how they do/would sound better than the tfb-550. it looks to me to be exactly the same amp with a bigger power stage?

Hi Guys,

This is a Quote from Dave Funk to me about the new TFB750-A

For those who haven't heard, I received the prototype transformers last Tuesday, too late to use on Bill Dickens amp, but after firing it up I just listened to it for a day. I can't believe how much better it sounds. Deeper, warmer, fuller, bigger, cleaner, louder, more detail, smoother, shimmering cymbal detail.... a different amp altogether. Like getting a heart transplant. It sounds so much better I can tell you I don't plan on building anymore TFB550-B's after I use up the parts I have left. And Bill hasn't heard this amp yet.

I'll let you know. For all those who have already ordered the TFB750-A you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for your support,

Dave

So thats from the horses mouth!

Looking forward to hearing one next year!

Cheers,

Robbie.

Hoping to do the TFB750-A for £1050 tops. The Direct price from Dave is looking at $ 1795, so I should be able to save you around £250. I will need pre orders on these heads, so if you are interested please get in touch.

Cheers guys,

Robbie.

Edited by RIM Basses

The question i'd ask is why have a 750W head and an 800W head, if the rest of the specs are pretty much the same? Obviously there may well be one in the pipeline, just doesnt seem to make sense.

I asked Dave about building a 1u preamp, but he said (at the time) that he couldnt fit all of the controls from the TF amps on a 1u rack. That was the end of that discussion.. maybe he is revisiting the plan, as I suspect a few people have asked him the same question!

From the talk an Talkbass there's an 800watt version in the works which'll be 600watts at 4 ohms (close to current t'funk specs), 700watts at 2.67 ohms and 800watts at 2 ohms.

A downside for some guys on talkbass seems to be that the 550 can't handle a 2 ohm load - the 800 is supposed to be a response to that.

My question would have to be: has the 800 developed into the 750 and is 2 ohm capable, or will there be 2 separate amps?

Dood there's been more talk about a preamp and it looks like it might be happening. Dave's also talking about a 1600 watt into 4 ohm bridgeable, 3 unit head! NICE!

A quick read on TB has revealed that the 800/750 are the same amp:

Definitely will run at 2-ohms.

400-watts at 8-ohms
750-watts at 4-ohms
800-watts at 2-ohms

21 pounds-ish

Me wants one!!!

EDIT: Sorry Robbie, hope I'm not stepping on your toes here?

Edited by Bigwan

• 1 month later...